Santorini help

UnbridledEnthusiasm

I booked a very last minute cruise that leaves in a few days. The Santorini time line is really short...6:30-2 PM and all of NCL's excursions are already full. 

Do any of you know of any NON PRIVATE (I'm a party of 1 and don't have the $$$$ to book a private tour for me and I know it's too last minute to try to pull something together online) tours of anything on Santorini that has a short duration starting early in the day? I already checked TA and the booking site that starts with a V (don't know if we are allowed to say it. 

Assuming I cannot get any excursion, what are some things to do other than eating, drinking, and buying crap?

You MAY be able to purchase an excursion once on the ship, so you can check that if you don't pre-book something else.  But it's not a guarantee.

If you're up to walking in the heat, it's a beautiful walk along the caldera from Fira to Oia.  You would need to ride the cable car up to Fira from the tender boat dock.  With your short time in port, you'd probably just be able to walk part of the way and then back to Fia, however.  In summer temps, it's dry and hot.  Take water.

If you're not interested in eating/drinking/buying crap (I'm not either), then simply going up to Fira won't excite you much.  However, there are great views and small museum and church to visit, if I recall.  Certainly better than staying on the ship all day.

There is a public bus that runs to various points on the island (such as Oia) and back.  But they can be crowded when tourists pack the island.  But worth looking into.

There usually is a boat waiting at the tender dock to take people to Oia (for a fee).  It will sit there for a while until they have a full boat for the voyage.  I think that includes a bus ticket back to Fira (but you should check on that).

• Like 1

I had the same issue last Sept when we stopped in Santorini.  I wanted to go to Oia but the excursions were sold out, EXCEPT  ' Charming Oia village in Spanish'.   In hindsight I should have taken it for the sole purpose of quick and easy access to Oia. 

Needless to say, I didn't get to Oia. The cable car line took 2 hrs so Fira was it for me.   So check on the Spanish speaking Oia tour.  At least you'd get to Oia. There were a few blue domed churches in Fira, and some amazing views, but Oia just has more.

Tender tickets will be distributed the day prior.  I think starting at 8am, but go early.  We arrived at 7am; there were lots of people ahead of us so we got tender #3. 

You can wait in line for the cable cars to Fira  I think they start operating at 7a.   Google Santorini Port Schedule to see what other ships are in port with you; their arrival and departure times.  Maybe you'll be lucky and be the first ship to arrive.   If the line is too long, you can walk up the donkey trail. At 7am it shouldn't be too hot.  Or you can take one of the boats to Amoudi Bay. I think 25E. They don't have a fixed schedule so hard to know when they start.  And they don;t leave until they're full. The boat sat for an hr when we were there.  The boat takes you to Amoundi Bay, just below Oia, and they have a shuttle to take you up the hill to Oia, then give you a token for a bus to Fira when you're ready to go back to your ship.  With a 2pm departure, you'll need to be mindful of the cable car line.  Again, the timing of those other ships will impact the line.  Good luck !

• Like 1

That's a good idea about the Spanish tour lol. I don't think that's even available though. I did find a 3 hour tour that starts at 9 AM for 60 Euros but it's not with NCL. I think had there been space with NCL with the $50 off excursion credit it was likely cheaper. 

I'm too lazy to do the hike up and don't want to ride a poor donkey. I think trying to get off at 6:30 AM may just be the easiest thing to do and hope for the best. 

I don't know what NCL was thinking with this time frame, the lack of available excursions through them, knowing most people will be taking the cable cars. I'm traveling solo so maybe there will be 1 last minute opening but then I'm likely out money with the other company. 

3 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm too lazy to do the hike up and don't want to ride a poor donkey. I think trying to get off at 6:30 AM may just be the easiest thing to do and hope for the best. 

If you're on the GEM, it looks like you're the first ship to arrive, with 2 other ships arriving at 7am.  So if you get an early tender, you might be ok with the cable car.  The other ships leave at 6pm and 8pm, way after your departure, so unless those pax are all returning to the ship for lunch, the cable car line might not be too bad.

Personally, I'd choose the NCL Oia tour (in any language)  and if that wasn't available I'd take the "speed" boat.   At least you'd get to Oia. But be prepared to catch the bus or cab back to Fira with plenty of time for the cable car, just in case the line is long.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

If you're on the GEM, it looks like you're the first ship to arrive, with 2 other ships arriving at 7am.  So if you get an early tender, you might be ok with the cable car.  The other ships leave at 6pm and 8pm, way after your departure, so unless those pax are all returning to the ship for lunch, the cable car line might not be too bad.

Personally, I'd choose the NCL Oia tour (in any language)  and if that wasn't available I'd take the "speed" boat.   At least you'd get to Oia. But be prepared to catch the bus or cab back to Fira with plenty of time for the cable car, just in case the line is long.  

Yep on the Gem. I guess it's good we are the first to come in. I just wish the hours weren't that short considering having to tender in and either take a cable car (lines), ride a donkey (cruel), and hike up (too lazy).