Iona August First Time Solo Cruise - Concerns

Samrennie

Hi everyone 

I have my first ever cruise coming up in August, booked on a bit of a whim as i trip i have always wanted to do but never had the chance befor, solo from Southampton to the fjords on Iona. Since booking i have come across a lot of reviews that are now giving me a lot of anxiety. I have read ICf’s very good review but aware that i have booked in the height of the school holidays and my first concern is that the ship will be over subscribed with over 6k passengers on a ship advertised as holding 5.2k, is that right?

I’m not going to be able to afford or want to dine in speciality restaurants, i blew my budget by upgrading to a balcony cabin (have been allocated on deck 5) but i now have serious concerns about being able to find somewhere to eat with half decent food, i tend to eat fairly early at home - 6.30pm-7pm and need to try and maintain this if i can, do i just use the app to get in a queue an hour before i want.to eat? Happy to share tables and also saw a comment that mentioned picking up a pager early and stating when i would like to eat, does anyone know if this works? How does this all work for breakfast and lunch as well, which i tend to be a bit more spontaneous about depending on whether i am hungry or not. 

Would like to see some entertainment as well so any tips on how this might work would be gratefully received. 

I am also hoping to take some 2ltr bottles of fizzy water on board as i like to drink this during the day, has anyone done this and it is best packed in cases or just as packed from the shops i.e. the 6pack you can get shrink wrapped then covered in luggage tags?

Thanks for any help as starting to feel would have just been easier to book a week in the sun!

• Like 1

I'm sure it will be okay.  I note you like to eat early.  You will hopefully be able to book your MDR meals on your personaliser before you go.  The times between 5.30 and 6.30 should be released exactly 14 days before your cruise.  They will open at midnight - mot suggesting you definitely need to stay up though it helps!  We have another recent new joiner to CC doing an Iona cruise and he booked early in the morning and had his first choice for everything.

If you are happy to share there is a button you can click to indicate this when you reserve your times. I cannot envisage you'll have a problem if you act as the reservations open.

The entertainment again will open one day before your restaurant reservations.  There are 3 shows a night in the theatre so dining early you can choose 8.30pm or 10.30pm.  The 8.30pm is most popular, again go in as soon as bookings open and you should be fine.

For breakfast and lunch you can use the app - I found on Arvia it is super fast at breakfast.  33 in the queue means 5 minutes  I was still dressing when I was called.

Lunch, again if you want MDR use the app about 15-20 minutes before you want to eat. You'll also have the Quays which is walk up.

Iona does have 4 dining rooms plus other eateries for free like the Quays and buffet. I'm sure it will be fine.

Personally I would not put any liquids even water in the luggage hole and would carry it in my hand luggage.  However I note you are thinking of taking a big plastic of 6 or so if I'm reading it right?  I'm sure someone else will advise on that.

Just relax and you will be fine.  A lot of the discussion on here is about one specific cruise experience and us old timers comparing it with how it used to be.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and at least you won't be battling yhe heat and fires. 

Just a word of warning ... cruising is addictive so you'd better start saving for the next one!

Enjoy and let us know how you get on.  Any help you need, just ask someone on here will most likely have the answer,.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Samrennie said:

Happy to share tables and also saw a comment that mentioned picking up a pager early and stating when i would like to eat, does anyone know if this works?

We used the pager Iona at May half term, this worked for us as we like to eat later. If you want to use the app, the virtual queue opens at 5.15 and you would get in by 6, or you can pre book a time bewteeen 5.30 and 6.30

There will be some meet ups for single travellers. These will be listed in the daily Horizon bulletin that is delivered to your cabin each evening, and you might find like minded people to share with.

At May half term  the ship did have a lot of children. They are mostly by the pools, but you can sunbathe around the side of the ship on quite a few decks. The infinity pools at the back are a great attraction to families but I did manage to find quiet spots there on port days. Beds in the Skydome covered pool are taken very early on in the day, and there will be more children there if the weather is not good outside.

We saw lots in the buffet and the Quays but very few in the MDR, and the ones in the MDR were well behaved. There are some child free areas- 710 club and Crow's Nest after 6pm, and may be others as well. 

On social media you might find a group for your cruise,and there might be a roll call on cruise critic as well.

I am sure all will be fine and you will have agreat time

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Samrennie said:

I am also hoping to take some 2ltr bottles of fizzy water on board as i like to drink this during the day, has anyone done this and it is best packed in cases or just as packed from the shops i.e. the 6pack you can get shrink wrapped then covered in luggage tags?

Thanks for any help as starting to feel would have just been easier to book a week in the sun!

I'm sure you will have a great cruise and will get loads of advice from folk who cruise solo.

As regards drinks, we take a small suit case, carry on size where we put all our soft drinks, water and wine. Having wheels helps a great deal. Keep it with you through check in and dump it in the cabin ASAP

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies, these are really helpful. I didn’t realise i could book the MDRs in advance and entertainment in advance and was worried that, with a 4pm embarkation, by the time i had the onboard app everything would be booked, so this is good news! 

Yes, looking at taking 6 bottles fizzy water, I’m not sure whether they would sell this on the boat and how expensive it would be and i drink a lot of water. Putting in hand luggage sounds a good idea, can i take 2 small cases on with me as hand luggage or is it like planes, restricted to one? I wanted one to also put things in such as headphones, change of clothes etc just in case my main luggage doesn’t turn up for a while. 

Many thanks everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samrennie said:

Thanks everyone for your replies, these are really helpful. I didn’t realise i could book the MDRs in advance and entertainment in advance and was worried that, with a 4pm embarkation, by the time i had the onboard app everything would be booked, so this is good news! 

Yes, looking at taking 6 bottles fizzy water, I’m not sure whether they would sell this on the boat and how expensive it would be and i drink a lot of water. Putting in hand luggage sounds a good idea, can i take 2 small cases on with me as hand luggage or is it like planes, restricted to one? I wanted one to also put things in such as headphones, change of clothes etc just in case my main luggage doesn’t turn up for a while. 

Many thanks everyone

You can take two bags as long as you can carry them. I have a handbag, backpack and a pull along case with wheels. 

The Olive Grove dining is a good option for you, and an alternative to MDR/Buffet/Quays as most of the food is no up charge. It can book up, but you ca usually get a slot (especially lunch, or on a busier port destination like Olden).

theatre entertainment is generally turn up and find a seat: even on a full ship in the holidays you will be able to get a seat in there if you arrive 5 minutes before it starts. It’s the 710 club that’s trickier as it’s smaller, but it’s definitely worth booking (or getting there 15 minutes before the show to see if there are any no shows).

1 hour ago, Samrennie said:

Many thanks everyone

On Iona you can fill your bottle at filling stations at the Emerald Bar and the Skydome pool. Water is served at dinner in the MDR and lunch I think, but at breakfast you have to ask for it. You can order tap water at any bar, which will be served in a glass, for free. There are self serve dispensers in the buffet, but you can not fill a bottle from these.

I think you can take 2 small cases as hand luggage, you might find a case and a back pack easier. You will need to take them around with you if your cabin isn't ready when you board. In May the doors to the cabin corridors were closed until 1.30.

• Like 1

Something you might want to consider is booking the The Retreat for the week. It will already be available to book and will probably cost around £120 for the week which I know might stretch resources, but….. It’s an adults only area and numbers are limited.
I’m a solo traveller and going on Iona in June so some of the info you have been given is useful for me too (eg being able to pre-book a shared table for around 6.15) as I’m normally on the smaller P&O ships!

I’m sure you will have a wonderful time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Samrennie said:

Hi everyone 

I have my first ever cruise coming up in August, booked on a bit of a whim as i trip i have always wanted to do but never had the chance befor, solo from Southampton to the fjords on Iona. Since booking i have come across a lot of reviews that are now giving me a lot of anxiety. I have read ICf’s very good review but aware that i have booked in the height of the school holidays and my first concern is that the ship will be over subscribed with over 6k passengers on a ship advertised as holding 5.2k, is that right?

I’m not going to be able to afford or want to dine in speciality restaurants, i blew my budget by upgrading to a balcony cabin (have been allocated on deck 5) but i now have serious concerns about being able to find somewhere to eat with half decent food, i tend to eat fairly early at home - 6.30pm-7pm and need to try and maintain this if i can, do i just use the app to get in a queue an hour before i want.to eat? Happy to share tables and also saw a comment that mentioned picking up a pager early and stating when i would like to eat, does anyone know if this works? How does this all work for breakfast and lunch as well, which i tend to be a bit more spontaneous about depending on whether i am hungry or not. 

Would like to see some entertainment as well so any tips on how this might work would be gratefully received. 

Yes there will be over 6,000 passengers on board as the 5,200 quoted figure is lower berths only. In school holidays, there will be a lot of children in the Pullman berths etc. However, it doesn’t necessarily follow that the ship will feel overrun with children. A very large proportion will use the self contained kids clubs and associated areas and the rest will be in pool areas etc. There will still be areas around the ship which will be virtually child free at any given time. 

The fact that you have paid for a balcony cabin also means that you can always enjoy your own private space away from people, should you wish. We spend quite a bit of time in our balcony cabin, something that you wouldn’t wish to do with an inside cabin. 

As for decent food, I appreciate that all the ships are different and standards vary, but having just returned from 2 weeks on Britannia I can honestly say that the quality of food in the main dining room was very good indeed. Had there been no options to dine elsewhere we would have still enjoyed the food aspect of our cruise (and the dining is a massive part of the cruise experience for us). If you are prepared to share and eat fairly early, I don’t think you’ll have any problems at all with getting seated quickly. The challenges can come with tables for 2 (sometimes) and later dining. 

Book as many of the shows as you can before you go. You can always cancel once on board. On our Britannia cruise, the 10.30pm shows were all full houses. As others have suggested, best to take drinks on as hand luggage. Enjoy your cruise. Your first is always your best!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Book as many of the shows as you can before you go. You can always cancel once on board. On our Britannia cruise, the 10.30pm shows were all full houses. As others have suggested, best to take drinks on as hand luggage. Enjoy your cruise. Your first is always your best!

That shows how things can change from cruise to cruise... 

The week before, on a very full Britannia, all the 10.30 shows that we attended were quite empty. 

8.30 was the one that got booked early. 

Still wise to book, you can always cancel, there is no penalty. 

Andy 

Thanks everyone, what a lovely supportive community on here, much better than some of the reviews i have seen on other sites! Noted about the hand luggage and the water bottle stations, which will make it much easier as i can take my hiking bottles with me and fill these as needed. I am also planning to spend a proportion of time on the balcony and I’m going to avoid the particularly busy areas of the ship. Sounds like i may be overthinking the food part and i will hopefully have minimal problems. 

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That shows how things can change from cruise to cruise... 

The week before, on a very full Britannia, all the 10.30 shows that we attended were quite empty. 

8.30 was the one that got booked early. 

Still wise to book, you can always cancel, there is no penalty. 

Andy 

We were surprised Andy, as we have always gone to the 10.30pm shows in the past and rarely have they been full. However, on this cruise, it was very different. We only went to just over half the shows, but we sat at the very back in the wheelchair spot so could see the whole auditorium and it was always full with, in some cases, people standing behind us as well!

• Like 2

I was a bit nervous about cruising solo on Iona, but enjoyed it so much that I'm going again later this year. Though I prefer Aurora as a solo, there were no problems booking on Iona. I couldn't get into the 710 club because I forgot to book, but simply turned up 10 minutes before the shows I fancied and got in due to no shows.

• Like 4

On 7/25/2023 at 11:21 AM, Samrennie said:

Hi everyone 

HI Sam 

I think most of the replies have answered most of your questions .

I have just returned from a 7 day Norway cruise on Iona travelling solo so just want to add some things from a solo perspective . It is a big ship with lots of people but as a solo you can ALWAYS find a quiet corner somewhere as there is always one chair or sunbed available . Don't be scared to  ask people if chairs are taken in the bars/atrium etc , it mostly results in having a little chat with people. It is a bit daunting when you first get on but my advice is start at the top of the ship and walk each deck to orientate yourself. There are plenty of maps and signs in the corriders.

*I took a lite of spirits and 12 cans of soft drinks on board, carried them in a bag and straight on board, There is a fridge in your room to keep them. I asked my cabin steward to provide a bucket of ice every day, and it was delved every afternoon around 3pm. So I had a little tipple before dinner.

*re main dining rooms , you don't always have to book these. I found that if I turned up I could always get a table (mostly sharing was great). Like you I eat early. Not sure this would work if dining late or if in a crowd but worked for me solo

*ditto theatres 

*ditto Limelight club. I went there twice without booking and went in (quietly)  after act had started. Just took a  seat at the bar, ordered a drink and enjoyed some fab music.

*There are solo meet ups every day in the Crows Net bar . I turned up there at the beginning of the week. Very nice to speak to fellow solos who were all great. Some I never saw again and done there own thing. Some I met up with one or twice and went to dinner or show. I seen most of them around and about and had a chat.

*if you feel overwhelmed and your budget allows book in the thermal suite (steam room, sauna, small pool, chill section). Quiet in there as only allow so many in at the time. You have to book this in advance 

Main thing is just enjoy yourself. I guarantee you will love it and will come back for more .

Hope this helps. Kind Regards 

Sue 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seahorse001 said:

HI Sam 

I think most of the replies have answered most of your questions .

I have just returned from a 7 day Norway cruise on Iona travelling solo so just want to add some things from a solo perspective . It is a big ship with lots of people but as a solo you can ALWAYS find a quiet corner somewhere as there is always one chair or sunbed available . Don't be scared to  ask people if chairs are taken in the bars/atrium etc , it mostly results in having a little chat with people. It is a bit daunting when you first get on but my advice is start at the top of the ship and walk each deck to orientate yourself. There are plenty of maps and signs in the corriders.

*I took a lite of spirits and 12 cans of soft drinks on board, carried them in a bag and straight on board, There is a fridge in your room to keep them. I asked my cabin steward to provide a bucket of ice every day, and it was delved every afternoon around 3pm. So I had a little tipple before dinner.

*re main dining rooms , you don't always have to book these. I found that if I turned up I could always get a table (mostly sharing was great). Like you I eat early. Not sure this would work if dining late or if in a crowd but worked for me solo

*ditto theatres 

*ditto Limelight club. I went there twice without booking and went in (quietly)  after act had started. Just took a  seat at the bar, ordered a drink and enjoyed some fab music.

*There are solo meet ups every day in the Crows Net bar . I turned up there at the beginning of the week. Very nice to speak to fellow solos who were all great. Some I never saw again and done there own thing. Some I met up with one or twice and went to dinner or show. I seen most of them around and about and had a chat.

*if you feel overwhelmed and your budget allows book in the thermal suite (steam room, sauna, small pool, chill section). Quiet in there as only allow so many in at the time. You have to book this in advance 

Main thing is just enjoy yourself. I guarantee you will love it and will come back for more .

Hope this helps. Kind Regards 

Sue 

Hi - I agree with everything you say re solo meet ups and dining.  I have only sailed solo with P and O solo on Azura a couple of times in the last two years and found just turning up for dinner and asking to share a table was fine and got in right away.  It’s quite nice to be able to talk to couples as well as solos although like you some nights I met up with other singles and shared with them.  
So Sam enjoy yourself - it is by far the easiest way to holiday on your own and you will be back for more!  

• Like 4

On 7/25/2023 at 6:16 PM, Angel57 said:

Something you might want to consider is booking the The Retreat for the week. It will already be available to book and will probably cost around £120 for the week which I know might stretch resources, but….. It’s an adults only area and numbers are limited.
I’m a solo traveller and going on Iona in June so some of the info you have been given is useful for me too (eg being able to pre-book a shared table for around 6.15) as I’m normally on the smaller P&O ships!

I've been considering that. Or £120 in the casino which will also be child free 🙂

Sam seems keen on fizzy water. Would taking a soda stream on board be possible?  I can't imagine they'd be too happy about those pressurised cannisters.

Hi everyone, I’ve been up early and got myself booked on the chefs table and a few theatre shows. I’m really pleased with the chefs table as i like the opportunity to put my party frock on, i don’t get many of those nowadays! The Limelight club seems to be Gareth Gates all week, with a charge. I’m not that keen on him so I’m not going to bother with this. Couldn’t see any other MDRs available to book, other than the speciality restaurants so I will just go with all your great recommendations and not worry about this until i’m actually on board. 

I’ve abandoned the idea of taking bottles of fizzy water on board, i will use my reusable bottles to fill up as i go, but will take some cans of Coke with me, in my hand luggage as you have mentioned!

Not long to go and not as worried as i was based on the support received, thanks all!

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Samrennie said:

Hi everyone, I’ve been up early and got myself booked on the chefs table and a few theatre shows. I’m really pleased with the chefs table as i like the opportunity to put my party frock on, i don’t get many of those nowadays! The Limelight club seems to be Gareth Gates all week, with a charge. I’m not that keen on him so I’m not going to bother with this. Couldn’t see any other MDRs available to book, other than the speciality restaurants so I will just go with all your great recommendations and not worry about this until i’m actually on board. 

I’ve abandoned the idea of taking bottles of fizzy water on board, i will use my reusable bottles to fill up as i go, but will take some cans of Coke with me, in my hand luggage as you have mentioned!

Not long to go and not as worried as i was based on the support received, thanks all!

Well done! If you have booked this morning am I correct in assuming that you are sailing on 12th August? If so, we are on the cruise after yours and our daughters would be keen to see either Gareth Gates or La Voix in the Limelight club. Hopefully it will be one or the other!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Samrennie said:

I am sure you will have a great time. Just be warned that cruising is addictive!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Samrennie said:

Have a fabulous time.  Look forward to hearing all about your adventures when you have time.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:16 PM, Angel57 said:

I've been considering that. Or £120 in the casino which will also be child free 🙂

Sam seems keen on fizzy water. Would taking a soda stream on board be possible?  I can't imagine they'd be too happy about those pressurised cannisters.

I booked myself into Oppenheimer tonight to help me stay awake till midnight.

Foolishly not realising 'saturday' midnight, is what I call Friday midnight.

Good excuse to buy fizzy voss if you aren't taking it with you.

Not sure if I can afford my pepsi max habit mind.

What do you make of the paper luggage labels. They seem somewhat vulnerable. Any suggestions on alternative ways to ensure your luggage reaches your room?

I'm wondering about those sticky "document enclosed" pouches , with IOMA 12-Aug-23 and room numbers clearly marked.

Or those bluetooth tracking tags. That might be taking it too far though.

I use Hemto  luggage labels from Amazon . They are reusable and my current set have been used over 20 times. There are cheaper ones but the plastic is not as tough nor the metal rings. They are 7.99 for 5. You just cut the printed labels to fit. I have also invested in air tags for my next cruise just to keep track. You will see a lot of people using these tags as they are popular. 

14 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

What do you make of the paper luggage labels. They seem somewhat vulnerable. Any suggestions on alternative ways to ensure your luggage reaches your room?

I'm wondering about those sticky "document enclosed" pouches , with IOMA 12-Aug-23 and room numbers clearly marked.

Or those bluetooth tracking tags. That might be taking it too far though.

The paper luggage labels are very strong. We use loads of staples and have to use scissors to remove them after the cruise.