Alaska {first time}, in fall?

tokidoki

hi everyone!,  after 25 cruises, mostly to warmer climates, we are ready to try Alaska.  Just wondering since the late spring/summer is in season, has anyone cruised in October and enjoyed it.  I know its cold, but is it perhaps rainy as well?  Prices on the Encore are incredibly cheap, then theres the free airfare for 2nd person, but I am not sure if I can trust NCL not to put us on a multi stop flight from NYC.   Any imput is appreciated!   thx

I’ve cruised Alaska in September and loved it so much I’m returning again this year. Expect pouring rain and be ready for it. We had only one day without rain. Backpacks should be waterproof if you’re planning to go hiking or make sure it brings lots of big ziplocks to put all your stuff in. 

It’s a rainforest in the rainy season, rain is what you will get. My mom says the pictures of me soaking wet in Alaska are the happiest she’s ever seen me though.

• Like 7

I went in October (last cruise of the season) on the Encore, and it was so foggy and rainy, we couldn't see anything from the ship, just fog.  Glacier Bay was a total no-go on seeing anything that day.  I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do that week again.

We just repeated that cruise over July 4th week and the weather was perfect.  Significantly more expensive over July 4th, but IMO was worth it for the weather.

I have been several times in the Fall- the later in the Season the more chance for very ugly weather.  From pictures posted by crew, Skagway this past week was very cold and foggy.  Float plane and helicopter excursions may not be available because of the weather.  

A lot of excursions will be closing down due to lack of staff.  Many people come from the Lower 48 (college students and all levels of teachers) come to work excursions just for the Summer months.  A number of shops are also closed.  Those that are open are having close out sales-- think Christmas shopping.

I much prefer to sail as early in the Season as possible while glacier ice is still pure white and the mountains are covered in snow.

Many of the people who work in the tourist industry are seasonal in Alaska - either college students on summer break or people who travel between Alaska and Hawaii to work the height of each state's tourist season.  You'd need to decide on the must see excursions and then check to see if they are still running in October.  We did the opposite shoulder season, late May and the weather was wonderful and the trip was amazing but we were too early for the salmon spawning (and you might be too late you'd need to check)  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chillyw said:

I went in October (last cruise of the season) on the Encore, and it was so foggy and rainy, we couldn't see anything from the ship, just fog.  Glacier Bay was a total no-go on seeing anything that day.  I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do that week again.

We just repeated that cruise over July 4th week and the weather was perfect.  Significantly more expensive over July 4th, but IMO was worth it for the weather.

YES, Alaska Statehood 4 July 1959

Of course there is the possibility you won't get a direct flight to Seattle but highly unlikely multi-stop.  So direct or 1 stop.  But be advised that your trip home will most likely be late - that's just the way the flight schedules tend to be, east from Seattle.  Either too early to guarantee you'd make it or late flights.

As to weather, it's Alaska.  There is no way to predict - light rain, heavy rain, sunshine, snow...

Last September I was in Juneau for 2 days - had a wonderful first day, fantastic whale-watching experience.  Day 2 in Juneau was unplanned because of weather - we couldn't leave due to the storm (and the ships that were supposed to dock that next day were either out at sea or stayed at their previous port).  It can change in an instant.

It's cheap because it's the very end of the season.  Even some excursions won't be available and some shops may have close up at that point, though the ones that are open would be having huge sales on everything.  Car rentals in Skagway would be slim if any.  I don't know the Encore's itinerary, but seeing glaciers from the ship may not happen and more rain than normal is to be expected in October.  Ketchikan, you can almost bet a lot of money that it will be raining since that's part of the rainforest.  If you've not been to AK before, I certainly would not recommend a cruise in October.  If it's cheap, I'd do it for my husband just to get him to shut up about it.  We've been 3 times, but if money was no object and he had his choice, we'd go every year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We sailed the final cruise of the season in 2011, it was mid-September then.  Great deals in ports as stores were closing, but excursions were limited then as well.  Rained the entire time except for Glacier Bay... the wind died to a light breeze, the sun was out, and the clouds parted for the entire day.  Three hours later, it was raining again, and kept raining until we got back to Phoenix.

We're going in May this time.

As of a few years ago, the end of the Alaska season used to be when Princess/HAL wrapped up cruising, around mid-September due to weather. We actually did the last cruise of the season on the Star Princess, and were surprised at the number of shops, restaurants, and tourism stuff that was already closed. Now that NCL has pushed way into October, weather can be much more volatile.

I'm not sure if shops are staying open for NCL, or if they're wrapping up when most of the other lines leave for the season. That said, if you want vacuum packed smoked salmon at 75% off, it may be the trip of a lifetime for you!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tokidoki said:

hi everyone!,  after 25 cruises, mostly to warmer climates, we are ready to try Alaska.  Just wondering since the late spring/summer is in season, has anyone cruised in October and enjoyed it.  I know its cold, but is it perhaps rainy as well?  Prices on the Encore are incredibly cheap, then theres the free airfare for 2nd person, but I am not sure if I can trust NCL not to put us on a multi stop flight from NYC.   Any imput is appreciated!   thx

We sail Alaska every year. And all different times. This year, we are sailing in September on the Encore. Other recent cruises include: May 2022 on the Quantum of the Seas; August 2021 on the Encore; August 2019 on the Joy. June 2018 on the Bliss. 

In May, there was still snow in the mountains making the scenery pretty. But, the salmon are not running yet so there are less wildlife (bear) sighting and fewer whale sighting. For Alaska cruises, we spend several hours a day, in the evening moving between ports, out on our balcony just enjoying the scenery and watching for whales. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tokidoki said:

Not sure about weather, but wanted to comment on air.  We are also near NYC,  we are going to alaska land tour first then cruise.  We did NCL air. We have a flight out of Newark with one stop in chicago then to fairbanks on the way there  Then on the way home a direct flight from Vancouver.  Not bad times eitherl

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, chris153 said:

Not sure about weather, but wanted to comment on air.  We are also near NYC,  we are going to alaska land tour first then cruise.  We did NCL air. We have a flight out of Newark with one stop in chicago then to fairbanks on the way there  Then on the way home a direct flight from Vancouver.  Not bad times eitherl

concerned if we fly and cruise the same day, that we wont  fly non stop.  Going home to JFK I dont mind.  

42 minutes ago, chris153 said:

can u share the actual cost of flight?  thx

We’re on the Encore on October 8.  I’ve done Alaska but my travel mate hasn’t.  We”re only doing this because I had a “freebie” from CAS for this sailing.  We’re not counting on great weather.  We booked the spa so we have a place to go in case of bad weather.

To the OP:  we just booked this three weeks ago and asked CAS to book the air.  We were too late.  You can’t book the air through NCL less than 110 days from sailing, so this point may be moot.

29 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

We’re on the Encore on October 8.  I’ve done Alaska but my travel mate hasn’t.  We”re only doing this because I had a “freebie” from CAS for this sailing.  We’re not counting on great weather.  We booked the spa so we have a place to go in case of bad weather.

To the OP:  we just booked this three weeks ago and asked CAS to book the air.  We were too late.  You can’t book the air through NCL less than 110 days from sailing, so this point may be moot.

Thx for the info!  

1 hour ago, tokidoki said:

can u share the actual cost of flight?  thx

it was a little over $1450 for both of us. One way united other air canada.  You may be able to get direct, we had to fly to fairbanks for the land portion, and no direct flights to there. 

1 hour ago, tokidoki said:

concerned if we fly and cruise the same day, that we wont  fly non stop.  Going home to JFK I dont mind.  

You can also do an air deviation and fly in a day early. Of course there is a small fee and you would have to pay for hotel

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, chris153 said:

it was a little over $1450 for both of us. One way united other air canada.  You may be able to get direct, we had to fly to fairbanks for the land portion, and no direct flights to there. 

is this with the NCL promo?  

We went last year October on the Bliss and did a B2B which were the last cruises of the Alaska season. 

Yes, the weather as others mentioned is really a gamble, during the 2 weeks we were there, we had everything from extreme fog with 0 visibility to beautiful sunny weather and everything in between! It was cold, but not crazy cold, the coldest we once got was just above freezing. 

The big positive of going very early or late in the Alaska season, is that the ports are not overcrowded. We were usually the only ship in port, which we preferred and made up for the bad weather at times. 

We loved Alaska, but next time we will try to go very early in the season like in April/May, as I hear the weather is much better and more stable that time.