Connecting cabins

JoJo1947

Interesting question which I have often wondered about, though TBH we have had rooms that have connecting doors in a couple of hotels and had a lot of problems in both, so it is not something we would risk on a ship either.  Given that ships often have a bit more sound transfer between the cabins, it may not make such a difference if the doors are sound insulated in some way.  So I am following this thread in case anyone who has  been one of those cabins on Bolette or Borealis  can provide the answer.  All depends how noisy the neighbours are as well though, I should think.

The times we have had particular problems with noise from cabins next door have been on other cruise lines though, particularly Princess and more recently on Arcadia when there were big TV's wall mounted and we got a lot of noise form the TV next door. I am pretty sure they were mounted B2B with probably the same cable supplying both cabins.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, yorkshire traveller said:

We had a cabin with a connecting door on Borealis.  I could hear our neighbour snoring   I suspected I would have heard them even without the door though.

If it is that bad I would be complaining about it.  Fred willove people if an alternative is available.  We had a really bad snorer in a hotel in Dominican Republic.  It was a double door and we could open the one on our side, so we stuffed the gap with lots of spare pillows, which helped a bit.  I hope you managed to get some sleep,

Barbara

34 minutes ago, tring said:

If it is that bad I would be complaining about it.  Fred willove people if an alternative is available.  We had a really bad snorer in a hotel in Dominican Republic.  It was a double door and we could open the one on our side, so we stuffed the gap with lots of spare pillows, which helped a bit.  I hope you managed to get some sleep,

Barbara

Long story.  Grab a cup of tea!

We had already moved cabins twice so we really didn't want to move again.  Surprisingly I did manage to sleep   The snoring was preferable to the drone of the engine noise in the previous cabin we moved from.

We booked on the fare where you pay to choose your cabin and we picked it carefully for the location and the fact that it had a bath.  When we got on board we found it did not have a bath. Reception on the ship tried to tell us it was sold as a shower only so I rang our travel agent who confirmed we had indeed booked the cabin with a bath.  Had it only been a short cruise I would have let it go but it was 80 nights and I do like a bath.

They said the only cabin we could move to with a bath was at the back of the ship.  That is when we had the engine noise so we move to next to the snorers cabin.  By this time almost a week had gone by and we rely couldn't face moving again even we had been offered another cabin.

We have just booked a cruise on Bolette for next month.  It was such a good offer on the saver fare we decided to take a chance on the cabin allocation as we reasoned it couldn't be any worse than our last experience when we paid to choose. 

The day after we booked we were given our cabin number.  I couldn't believe it was in the same location as the noisy cabin we had on Bolearis!

Now I know you are not supposed to be able to change your cabin on a saver fare but we were still within the 24 hour cancellation period so I rang our travel agent who managed to get FO to give us a different location.  It looks fine with cabins above and below and fairly mid ship so fingers crossed for a quiet cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshire traveller said:

Long story.  Grab a cup of tea!

We had already moved cabins twice so we really didn't want to move again.  Surprisingly I did manage to sleep   The snoring was preferable to the drone of the engine noise in the previous cabin we moved from.

We booked on the fare where you pay to choose your cabin and we picked it carefully for the location and the fact that it had a bath.  When we got on board we found it did not have a bath. Reception on the ship tried to tell us it was sold as a shower only so I rang our travel agent who confirmed we had indeed booked the cabin with a bath.  Had it only been a short cruise I would have let it go but it was 80 nights and I do like a bath.

They said the only cabin we could move to with a bath was at the back of the ship.  That is when we had the engine noise so we move to next to the snorers cabin.  By this time almost a week had gone by and we rely couldn't face moving again even we had been offered another cabin.

We have just booked a cruise on Bolette for next month.  It was such a good offer on the saver fare we decided to take a chance on the cabin allocation as we reasoned it couldn't be any worse than our last experience when we paid to choose. 

The day after we booked we were given our cabin number.  I couldn't believe it was in the same location as the noisy cabin we had on Bolearis!

Now I know you are not supposed to be able to change your cabin on a saver fare but we were still within the 24 hour cancellation period so I rang our travel agent who managed to get FO to give us a different location.  It looks fine with cabins above and below and fairly mid ship so fingers crossed for a quiet cruise.

Quite a bit of disturbance then.  The bath problem is likely that you booked fairly soon after those ships went on sale and a lot of cabins did have baths.  Some (quite a lot from what I remember) were subsequently changed to decent sized walk in showers and the deck plans were changed.  I do think though that they should have passed that information on to people who were booked in those cabins.  Yes, the back of any ship is something to be wary of, especially if on a lower deck.  I have known Fred move saver fare passengers from the back, often only a few cabins further forward, but enough to keep each of them a little bit happier which was perhaps a good plan for Fred.  We very rarely book saver fares, but did for a Baltic cruise last summer and the cabin we had did suffer a lot of noise early mornings - it was a crew area below and crew I spoke to told me that we needed to move as it would be an ongoing problem - shame because the cabin was good otherwise.  Anyway we were moved, so even saver fares are not totally ignored if real problems occur, though of course it may not be possible to move people, so still a risk.  A good idea to tell them pretty nippily if there are problems with a cabin as they will more likely have an alternative that is better at that stage.  There was a Canadian, St Lawrence cruise, on which we had booked a top grade outside on Black Watch having chosen it carefully and there were some problems.  We delayed mentioning it and the only alternative was the same on the other side of the ship, which was a tad better, but still problems as under the self service restaurant.  If we had mentioned it earlier, there would have been better cabins available.

I assume you must have been on the around the world in 80 nights, so was hopefully a good cruise, hope you had a good time despite the cabin issues and that everything goes well for your future cruise,

Barbara

Edited by tring

23 minutes ago, tring said:

Quite a bit of disturbance then.  The bath problem is likely that you booked fairly soon after those ships went on sale and a lot of cabins did have baths.  Some (quite a lot from what I remember) were subsequently changed to decent sized walk in showers and the deck plans were changed.  I do think though that they should have passed that information on to people who were booked in those cabins.  Yes, the back of any ship is something to be wary of, especially if on a lower deck.  I have known Fred move saver fare passengers from the back, often only a few cabins further forward, but enough to keep each of them a little bit happier which was perhaps a good plan for Fred.  We very rarely book saver fares, but did for a Baltic cruise last summer and the cabin we had did suffer a lot of noise early mornings - it was a crew area below and crew I spoke to told me that we needed to move as it would be an ongoing problem - shame because the cabin was good otherwise.  Anyway we were moved, so even saver fares are not totally ignored if real problems occur, though of course it may not be possible to move people, so still a risk.  A good idea to tell them pretty nippily if there are problems with a cabin as they will more likely have an alternative that is better at that stage.  There was a Canadian, St Lawrence cruise, on which we had booked a top grade outside on Black Watch having chosen it carefully and there were some problems.  We delayed mentioning it and the only alternative was the same on the other side of the ship, which was a tad better, but still problems as under the self service restaurant.  If we had mentioned it earlier, there would have been better cabins available.

I assume you must have been on the around the world in 80 nights, so was hopefully a good cruise, hope you had a good time despite the cabin issues and that everything goes well for your future cruise,

Barbara

It was  a fabulous cruise once we got our cabin sorted out.  We enjoyed it so much we booked for 2025 RTW whilst on board

• Like 1