help or advice to a seasoned cruiser, just not Princess

Oceansaway17

Well, I did check-in and I do not see where or how I have something to actually show when I get to the ship.

I will get my medallion at the pier.   I am frustrated that Princess is all about the medallion but nothing online that I can see.

I am used to other cruise lines that have a better setup.  I did print out luggage tags but where do I get my set sail or access to the ship on PAPER.

9 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well, I did check-in and I do not see where or how I have something to actually show when I get to the ship.

I will get my medallion at the pier.   I am frustrated that Princess is all about the medallion but nothing online that I can see.

I am used to other cruise lines that have a better setup.  I did print out luggage tags but where do I get my set sail or access to the ship on PAPER.

There is no paper document. If you want proof of passage you can either print out or screen shot your travel summary

• Like 2

You don't have to show anything but your passport. I like to print my travel summary for peace of mind and proof of obc, but have never needed it.  I think I may have been asked to see my app once, but I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

You simply don't need anything.  They'll have your name. Your passport is all the paper you need. You'll know to go to the Blue Lane since you're getting your medallion there.  This isn't a bad thing...it's extremely efficient.

• Like 2

Wow thanks but wish they would say so more clearly.

I mean Princess is very different than say RCI or DCL in that they do not assign check in time or provide a pass.

I guess I don’t need the QR code either from app that I heard about?

I find Princess also odd that one can’t get dining set up at time of deposit. Oh well

Oceansaway I have your back.  Having a big CHECK IN tab both on the website and app makes it seem like you have to, you know, CHECK IN before the day of the ship.

You don't.  I didn't figure that out until I slugged through the process.  It does want you to input certain information and choose your medallion, etc., but you don't actually ever click something that is a CHECK IN like on an airplane where you then get a boarding pass and you're done.  It's a completely different process and should be labeled differently.  Something like PERSONAL INFORMATION instead of CHECK IN.

A very recent announcement finally shared that Princess was finally doing away with boarding times and/or arrival groups.  Just as well because *nobody* really honored what was being presented...because the app was so buggy.  @Oceansaway17 Just do as those above have stated...just show up at your convenience with passport and possibly a printed copy of your travel docs (optional...but sometimes good to have!)

You can print them from your cruise personalizer not the app you will find it near top of page with the travel summary I would go ahead and print that also it shows any obc you have and any purchases you've made before the cruise such as shore excursions.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 12:27 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

If you're picking up the Medallion you'll be in quite a queue to get it being in the blue lane. If you don't have Princess Plus, paying the $10 shipping to have it delivered to your home so you can bypass that lane is well worth it. When we sailed Sky Princess we literally just walked through the terminal in minutes. Meanwhile the long line for the Medallion pickup snaked outside the terminal. 

As others have mentioned, it's all on the app now, especially access to the ship. You should be able to login to your account on the website and print out some backup paperwork if you feel you need it. Just have your ID out and ready and have the Princess App open on your phone BEFORE you enter the terminal. We have ours open and ready to show as we're walking in from the parking garage. The Medallion is awesome, so much better than the keycards. 

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

What about luggage tags? Do they provide them when you arrive at the port?

You can print them out and we HIGHLY recommend you go online and get some luggage tag holders. We get them via Amazon, just search "Princess Cruises Luggage Tag Holders." Get the ones with the metal wire clasps, they're awesome and will make sure your tags don't come off.

If not, the porters will put a bag tag on for you at the terminal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

If you're picking up the Medallion you'll be in quite a queue to get it being in the blue lane. 

Being from Canada, I always have to pick up my medallion at the pier. Never had a wait of anytime and I've sailed from London, Copenhagen and Florida since the restart. Don't waste your 10 dollars. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

If you're picking up the Medallion you'll be in quite a queue to get it being in the blue lane. If you don't have Princess Plus, paying the $10 shipping to have it delivered to your home so you can bypass that lane is well worth it. When we sailed Sky Princess we literally just walked through the terminal in minutes. Meanwhile the long line for the Medallion pickup snaked outside the terminal. 

As others have mentioned, it's all on the app now, especially access to the ship. You should be able to login to your account on the website and print out some backup paperwork if you feel you need it. Just have your ID out and ready and have the Princess App open on your phone BEFORE you enter the terminal. We have ours open and ready to show as we're walking in from the parking garage. The Medallion is awesome, so much better than the keycards. 

Ignore this post, it takes about 2 minutes to pick up your medallion