Formal nights on Arvia

majortom10

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This was in 2014 so things may well be different now.

That would appear to be the case, as this was the guidance back in 2016 - What to wear on a P&O; Cruises holiday - P&O; Cruises (archive.org)

Black Tie nights

Black Tie nights are all about getting dressed up in your finery. For ladies, cocktail dresses and ball gowns are perfect. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are most common, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie are fine, too. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform on these nights. 

Whereas the guidance now is - What to wear on a P&O Cruises holiday - P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

Formal evenings

Celebration Nights give you the option to put your most fashionable foot forward. Elegance is the order of the evening… a chance to wow everyone with a favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown, DJ, or a suit, jacket and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.

A subtle but important change, and one I suspect has been needed for two reasons.

Firstly there will be many more men these days who simply don't own a suit, as that is not what is worn even in offices these days.

Secondly, with the rise in the wearing of 'comedy' Dinner Jackets it would be pretty hard to say that someone wearing a smart blazer and tie was not acceptable when those wearing the 'comedy' jackets are.

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The lady told me it was because people go shopping in the airport and ram heavy items like bottles and toiletries in their bags and the bigger ones end up being way over the 10kg.

That might have been the case in the past as the low cost airlines did try to force passengers to only bring a single bag onboard.

However these days, even if there is a one bag hand-luggage limit, most airports insist that any airlines using them allow passengers to take a separate bag onboard with their duty free purchases. I seem to recall Spain even passed a law requiring it.

Edited by 9265359

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Our hand luggage was weighed at the gate, before passport was checked.  The lady told me it was because people go shopping in the airport and ram heavy items like bottles and toiletries in their bags and the bigger ones end up being way over the 10kg.  

My coat was pretty heavy as it was a ski jacket - there was heavy snow that year and I'd travelled to the airport by train.  Bizarrely I was told nothing wrong with the coat but I should carry it over my arm and not put it in my bag.  

Have always thought that when we've seen people loading bags up at the shops etc after all the fuss before check in. 

We are used to flying to Lapland in February not out to somewhere warm.