Which ship would you choose?

Alaskabound25

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Based on the poll that's running, it doesn't seem like so many are 'disappointed' as most seem to be planning to continue sailing the way they've always sailed with Princess...Princess Premier is not for me, but it's an available package for those who want it. 

I didn't intend my post to cause a straying from the topic, but I want to thank you for your thoughts in posting with what I accept as good intentions.

You mention that poll and I selected to sail with Princess in the way we've always sailed, Standard.

@bubbaed suggested running the numbers. In our case, neither of us drink. We also are not dependent on the internet and prefer to disconnect at sea and catch up on communications port days. Don't want the desserts or excercise classes. Specialty dining, RS? Meh!

What affects us, you ask? We will miss Adagio/Gigi's as included dining. So for our next cruise, 16 days, Plus for two is $120/day×16=$1920-$510 (crew appreciation gets paid either way) $1410 for two lunches for two, or $15 ea. per each visit without the plan.

Doing without Plus means that, being Elite, we could buy internet at $7.50/day, which is good, but it used to be free. Carnival Corp is in an awful financial mess and money has to be raised. Would have preferred they sliced the pie differently, that's all.

Edited by mtnesterz

A good word for Majestic Princess. Sailed Majestic Princess to Alaska in May. I booked very last minute and didn’t have time to research the ship like I usually do.  Ended up very pleasantly surprised, in spite of the “quirks” mentioned that make her slightly different than Regal/Royal.  The Observation Lounge was a large, beautifully decorated area, far forward - in area where the Sanctuary would normally be on Royal Class Ships. It was mostly quiet and great for viewing scenery, with its floor to ceiling glass windows and cozy, private nooks.  No other Princess Ships (that I know of) offers any such space. The nearby Hollywood Pool was beautiful.  It was enclosed and warm, was always quiet. The Majestic offered plenty of open outdoor deck space for viewing as well.  This was my third Alaska sailing and I was considering the NCL Bliss because of its lovely Observation Lounge or HAL Koningsdam with the Crows Nest, but glad I was able to find this amenity on Princess. Side Note: No matter which ship - Glacier Bay is a must!!!