Advice desperaltely needed for South Pacific cruise

gilliansp

Have booked a seemingly fab cruise for next February visiting Tahiti, Moorea, Fakarava, Nuku Hua, Rangiroa, Bora Bora and Raiatea with all excursions included. The problem we now have is that all the ships excursions are already boooked up!! An issue I am arguing with the cruise line. Advice needed for doing it on our own in these ports. Although we love nature we are not experienced snorkelers but are open to suggestions. We are a reasonably fit couple in our mid-60's and this is one of my husbands bucket trip trips. Many thanks!!!

3 minutes ago, gilliansp said:

Good guess! Cruise starts Febuary 7th.

Your on the one after us ....

The problem is most of the good private excursions have already been booked ... all of my private excursions are pretty full. I would suggest going to your roll call (if there is one) and see if others are requesting more people to fill their private excursions. Most private vendors require a minimum so checking your roll call is a good way to go. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Your on the one after us ....

The problem is most of the good private excursions have already been booked ... all of my private excursions are pretty full. I would suggest going to your roll call (if there is one) and see if others are requesting more people to fill their private excursions. Most private vendors require a minimum so checking your roll call is a good way to go. 

Doesn't sound very hopeful! We only booked last week, had no idea this would be so difficult to arrange.

25 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

If you are interested in a private tour of Moorea, we just did one last week with Spirou the Blue Lady.  She was fun, informative and you can tailor the tour to your interests.

Thanks so much. Can you forward me her contact details.Did you do any private excursions on the other islands.

gilliansp

Huahine - good island for cultural stuff

Moorea - all about the interior

Bora Bora - all about the lagoon

Raiatea - another good cultural island

Fakarava - only 800 people live here so the infrastructure is limited. The Blur Lagoon area is serene and so beautiful

Rangiroa - Don't miss the 'Aquarium'  ... some of the best snorkeling in FP

Nuku Hiva - you want to get yourself up to the Hatihue/Anaho area 😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

gilliansp

Huahine - good island for cultural stuff

Moorea - all about the interior

Bora Bora - all about the lagoon

Raiatea - another good cultural island

Fakarava - only 800 people live here so the infrastructure is limited. The Blur Lagoon area is serene and so beautiful

Rangiroa - Don't miss the 'Aquarium'  ... some of the best snorkeling in FP

Nuku Hiva - you want to get yourself up to the Hatihue/Anaho area 😉

This info is so helpful. How easy is it to rent a car on arrival  on the smaller islands or is this a stupid question! If we don't have a tour arranged beforehand to the Blue lagooon area will there be vendors on shore for this? Do you know if cash or card is the better payment method for purchases on these smaller islands? I am really abusing your knowlwdge here but very appreciative.

6 hours ago, gilliansp said:

This info is so helpful. How easy is it to rent a car on arrival  on the smaller islands or is this a stupid question! If we don't have a tour arranged beforehand to the Blue lagooon area will there be vendors on shore for this? Do you know if cash or card is the better payment method for purchases on these smaller islands? I am really abusing your knowlwdge here but very appreciative.

Rental cars are available but best to pre-book. Do a Google search as there are several, to many to post.

There will not ne any vendors going to the Blue Lagoon at the tender location  ... as mentioned, only 800 people live on Fakarava, very limited infrastructure. Do a Google search for lagoon excursions on Fakarava. 

Vendor want cash, either XPF, Euro. If you use USD they will not give you a great exchange rate ... smaller vendors are not setup for CC

Our experience with using USD is an exchange rate of $1 =100 XPF.  Not great, but convenient.

as a humorous aside, we had old XPF from 15 years ago- and learned that it was no longer valid currency.

On 7/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, makai 7 said:

Our experience with using USD is an exchange rate of $1 =100 XPF.  Not great, but convenient.

as a humorous aside, we had old XPF from 15 years ago- and learned that it was no longer valid currency.

Will take local currency with! Hang onto the out of date currency - one day it may be worth something!

• Haha 1

Keep checking the Regent site for additional slots in tours..  you can also ask your TA to contact RSSC if there are specific tours that you want to reserve or get waitlisted.  There is also Mike Moore on the Regent board- he has been really helpful with issues in the past.

we saw few or no tours offered at the tender piers in July.  Don’t rely on this as an option.

16 hours ago, makai 7 said:

Keep checking the Regent site for additional slots in tours..  you can also ask your TA to contact RSSC if there are specific tours that you want to reserve or get waitlisted.  There is also Mike Moore on the Regent board- he has been really helpful with issues in the past.

we saw few or no tours offered at the tender piers in July.  Don’t rely on this as an option.

Thanks for the advice. We are already waitlisted for some tours but there are others where they have actually already closed the waitlist.