Fixed cab fare from port to Rome?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We will be travelling to Rome in early November and I'm thinking of just taking a cab instead of a car service. I know I read on one thread that the cab fare was fixed and it might have been 45 Euro. Is that still the case? I'm thinking it might be more now, with gas being more expensive. Do the rates change once the serious tourist season is over? Any thoughts about whether a car service is better than a cab? Maybe faster?

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Thanks.

To my knowledge there has never been a fixed fare between Rome and Civitavecchia, and if there was it would never have been as low as 45 euro, even two decades ago when they first transitioned to the euro.

For perspective, the fixed fare for a taxi from the airport to Civitavecchia is 125 Euro.

Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf (comune.roma.it)   (page two is in English)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

I know I read on one thread that the cab fare was fixed and it might have been 45 Euro. Is that still the case?

I believe you're thinking of the fixed fare between the city of Rome and FCO airport, which was 45 euros years ago. 

It is now, I believe 50 euros, according to this FCO website:

https://www.rome-airport.net/getting-there/fiumicino-airport-taxi/

Edited by cruisemom42

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I believe you're thinking of the fixed fare between the city of Rome and FCO airport, which was 45 euros years ago. 

It is now, I believe 50 euros, according to this FCO website:

https://www.rome-airport.net/getting-there/fiumicino-airport-taxi/

Yes, I think you're right. It's been awhile and my memory isn't getting any better 😉

What's your take on cab vs car service? I am thinking November won't be as busy as the summer but I know Rome is always busy!

Thanks.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

To my knowledge there has never been a fixed fare between Rome and Civitavecchia, and if there was it would never have been as low as 45 euro, even two decades ago when they first transitioned to the euro.

For perspective, the fixed fare for a taxi from the airport to Civitavecchia is 125 Euro.

Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf (comune.roma.it)   (page two is in English)

Yes, I got that wrong--cruisemom corrected me. I guess we'll just use a car service from FCO to our hotel in Rome and again to get to the port.

Thanks for your help.

5 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, I think you're right. It's been awhile and my memory isn't getting any better 😉

What's your take on cab vs car service? I am thinking November won't be as busy as the summer but I know Rome is always busy!

Thanks.

I haven't priced it post-COVID, but I believe there's very little difference in cost between using a private driver and using a taxi for the route between Rome and the port. A shared shuttle would be a bit cheaper as an option. 

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I haven't priced it post-COVID, but I believe there's very little difference in cost between using a private driver and using a taxi for the route between Rome and the port. A shared shuttle would be a bit cheaper as an option. 

Thanks for this. I had forgotten about the shared shuttle idea, thanks for reminding me. I got us off on the wrong track earlier--we need to get from FCO to our Rome hotel, and then a few days later, hotel to the port. My faulty memory left the implication we needed to go from FCO to the port.