Amsterdam stay pre cruise

pmjnh

Hello,

This is very very early  to be planning ahead but I am a planner . In the fall of 2024 we will be flying into Amsterdam and would like to stay for 3 nights before heading to Rotterdam for our cruise departure. We would like to stay in-between the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House..the 2 must do items on our list. 

We are considering taking the ship transfer on embarkation day from Amsterdam to Rotterdam vs private transfer. Although the train sounds like a good mode of transportation for many, we do not want to schlepp our luggage.

What hotels might you recommend in our plan? 

Have you stayed in Amsterdam and then taken your ships transfer to Rotterdam?

Do hotels in Amsterdam have airport shuttles to facilitate getting to the ship transfer at the airport at the end of our stay?

Can you recommend a private transfer from Amsterdam to Rotterdam?

Thank you

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

Hello,

This is very very early  to be planning ahead but I am a planner . In the fall of 2024 we will be flying into Amsterdam and would like to stay for 3 nights before heading to Rotterdam for our cruise departure. We would like to stay in-between the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House..the 2 must do items on our list. 

We are considering taking the ship transfer on embarkation day from Amsterdam to Rotterdam vs private transfer. Although the train sounds like a good mode of transportation for many, we do not want to schlepp our luggage.

What hotels might you recommend in our plan? 

Have you stayed in Amsterdam and then taken your ships transfer to Rotterdam?

Do hotels in Amsterdam have airport shuttles to facilitate getting to the ship transfer at the airport at the end of our stay?

Can you recommend a private transfer from Amsterdam to Rotterdam?

Thank you

What’s your budget for the hotel?

Just now, gumshoe958 said:

What’s your budget for the hotel?

We would like to keep it to about 300 USD or less, that would be great. I do understand that Amsterdam hotels are pricey . This will be the end of September.

Ok, $300 is more or less the minimum for central Amsterdam at the moment.

You could have a look at Hotel Fita or the Catalonia Vondel to see if they suit. Or try the NH City Centre Amsterdam (NH is a big mid-range European chain).

Also Banks Mansion is popular on CC although I suspect it’ll be well over $300.

I wouldn’t expect any hotel to offer an airport shuttle. You’ll need a cab or a private shuttle if you don’t want to use the train.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pmjnh said:

As  your dates are more than a year out, you may find that  some hotels have not yet posted their pricing that far ahead.  You could  consider booking one with a cancellable full return policy, and from time to time  keep an eye on pricing and availability as more open up as you may want to switch to a different one at that point..

45 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

As  your dates are more than a year out, you may find that  some hotels have not yet posted their pricing that far ahead.  You could  consider booking one with a cancellable full return policy, and from time to time  keep an eye on pricing and availability as more open up as you may want to switch to a different one at that point..

Thank you, yes, this is a great idea , and prices sometimes are better far out. We always do cancellable reservations.

by the way, i noticed you are from Edinburgh, my favorite city. We were there in September.

We have Banks Mansion booked again for July 2024 (their schedule just came out) and yes a bit pricey but considering the all inclusive and great location we have found it well worth it.

We've taken a taxi from AMS to hotel and hotel to port (not Rotterdam) but with the recent conversation about a possible change (hoping not) to embark from Rotterdam I did get a suggestion from a poster...WelcomePickups that they have used,

Best of luck and enjoy Amsterdam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pmjnh said:

by the way, i noticed you are from Edinburgh, my favorite city. We were there in September.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again in future, as there are many sightseeing opportunites to discover on repeat visits or over longer periods of time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again in future, as there are many sightseeing opportunites to discover on repeat visits or over longer periods of time.

Yes, actually it was my second visit. My September trip focused on Edinburgh and a road trip though the Hebrides, the home of my ancestors. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Prices for 2024 will probably not known yet. Later this year you might try Hotel Ibis Centraal Station, budget but very decent and a good location. All public transportation available and walking distance from AF house. You are aware you need to make reservations online. Check the website for details. https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Yes, actually it was my second visit. My September trip focused on Edinburgh and a road trip though the Hebrides, the home of my ancestors. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Sounds like it was a lovely trip. Hope you enjoy any others.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you would consider an apartment, the Dutch Master Apartments are fantastic and are in the area you are looking for.  They also contract with a local transportation company that will pick you up at the airport for a reasonable price.  The downside to the Dutch Master Apartments is that there is no elevator, but they do have 2 first floor units.  We stayed there last year and loved it.  Book early, as they do sell out.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, swin26 said:

If you would consider an apartment, the Dutch Master Apartments are fantastic and are in the area you are looking for.  They also contract with a local transportation company that will pick you up at the airport for a reasonable price.  The downside to the Dutch Master Apartments is that there is no elevator, but they do have 2 first floor units.  We stayed there last year and loved it.  Book early, as they do sell out.

Thank you. This sounds great .  Unfortunately during  the timeframe we need, there is a 7 night minimum stay. We need just 3 nights.

download.jpeg.35351db2f1bb5cf6c6a702f53f35501a.jpeg

We stayed 3 nights 9/29/22-10/2/22 prior to HAL 28 day Scandinavian & 150th Anniversary cruise on Rotterdam. Stayed in a canal  houseboat on the Prinsengracht. It was wonderful. We sat out on deck watching other boats go by waving to the tourists like we were locals 😉. Bed was comfortable, we felt safe. Very short walk to Anne Frank House. It was a great experience. 

7 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

download.jpeg.35351db2f1bb5cf6c6a702f53f35501a.jpeg

We stayed 3 nights 9/29/22-10/2/22 prior to HAL 28 day Scandinavian & 150th Anniversary cruise on Rotterdam. Stayed in a canal  houseboat on the Prinsengracht. It was wonderful. We sat out on deck watching other boats go by waving to the tourists like we were locals 😉. Bed was comfortable, we felt safe. Very short walk to Anne Frank House. It was a great experience. 

That sounds delightful. How did you find this houseboat listing?