Briksdal Glacier Weather in Mid August

LTC

We have transportation booked for a visit to the Briksdal Glacier in mid August and wondering what to wear. Plan to do the hike and will long pants, rain jacket and sneakers be OK? Thanks for any info.

On 7/30/2023 at 5:40 PM, LTC said:

We have transportation booked for a visit to the Briksdal Glacier in mid August and wondering what to wear. Plan to do the hike and will long pants, rain jacket and sneakers be OK? Thanks for any info.

Since no one else has answered, I will give you my best response (which isn't ideal since I sailed in May and had a two year old so we used the golf cart for most of the ride).  The weather in May was wonderful and we went in shorts.  For Norway, you'd always want to bring layers just in case.  I'd recommend checking the weather and dressing for whatever the forecast is for the time you'll be hiking.  But do bear in mind its really along a path and as long as you have comfortable shoes you should be fine.

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Since no one else has answered, I will give you my best response (which isn't ideal since I sailed in May and had a two year old so we used the golf cart for most of the ride).  The weather in May was wonderful and we went in shorts.  For Norway, you'd always want to bring layers just in case.  I'd recommend checking the weather and dressing for whatever the forecast is for the time you'll be hiking.  But do bear in mind its really along a path and as long as you have comfortable shoes you should be fine.

Thanks so much kitkat343. Your info is helpful and good to know it's a path and sneakers will be fine. I figured we'd need warmer clothes but shorts in May changed that idea! I'll leave the warmer clothes home and bring layers. Thanks again for your reply.

3 hours ago, LTC said:

Thanks so much kitkat343. Your info is helpful and good to know it's a path and sneakers will be fine. I figured we'd need warmer clothes but shorts in May changed that idea! I'll leave the warmer clothes home and bring layers. Thanks again for your reply.

I wouldn't leave all the warm clothing at home since you never know.  Also, you might want to post this on TripAdvisor so people who have hiked the entire distance in August can chime in.  I do remember the last 200 meters being a very pleasant walk (which surprisingly even my 2 year old was able to complete) 

On 7/30/2023 at 11:40 PM, LTC said:

Not so easy to predict weather, but mid august is normally quite warm, ill guess between 15 to 20 degrees, higher if sunny... 

August is warmer than May. 

Could be rain, recommend you to check weather on https://www.yr.no/en

a few days before you visit. 

20 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I wouldn't leave all the warm clothing at home since you never know.  Also, you might want to post this on TripAdvisor so people who have hiked the entire distance in August can chime in.  I do remember the last 200 meters being a very pleasant walk (which surprisingly even my 2 year old was able to complete) 

Thanks again for your help. I have a much better idea what to expect now. Your idea about posting on TripAdvisor is great. I bet your 2 year old has great memories of the walk!

7 hours ago, JohnAlleb77 said:

Not so easy to predict weather, but mid august is normally quite warm, ill guess between 15 to 20 degrees, higher if sunny... 

August is warmer than May. 

Could be rain, recommend you to check weather on https://www.yr.no/en

a few days before you visit. 

Thanks for your info. I had no idea it could be that warm. Thanks so much for the weather link, that's very helpful!

We just walked from the end of the cars to the Glacier in July....Layers, we had a very warm day, lots of people in shorts....It is a walk that takes about 40 minutes from the end where the Trollcars stop. Need good walking shoes.