Alaska 7 day cruise and phone calls

azalice

Will I be able to make and receive phone calls easily during the Alaska Explorer Seattle roundtrip cruise? I need contact with my home during the 7 days. I would appreciate information and/or advice.

You will have access to the ship’s Internet throughout your journey. Ship’s basic/premium Internet dies not include phone services.

You should expect intermittent coverage from land towers when/if your ship is at dock. 

I have not had issues making calls when at port. We have Sprint/T-Mobile and Verizon.

On the ship it's a no go, but honestly have never tried to make WiFi calls on my phone using their internet package; I only make cell calls from land.

I have made Teams calls on my computer using their internet package; they've been spotty, as I would expect relying on internet in open water.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

It was on Royal, but we had full coverage via wifi calling from Vancouver to Honolulu. I concur with the previous poster that regular cell service is usually good in the Alaska ports. 

There were a couple of trips outside the US when we had to have cellular and we purchased Cellular at Sea and it worked great for us.  We talked to everyone back home everyday for our 2 - 2 week trips. There are a few rules you need to keep in mind so there weren't any surprise charges.  We did ours through ATT but I think other carriers have it as well.  If you need more details, I think I kept all the info.  It might be kind of a rip off for you considering you will be in US ports for maybe 1/2 the time.  

2 hours ago, azalice said:

I was hoping not to have to purchase internet, but if phone calls have intermittent coverage, I may have to add it to my costs. 

Phone calls over the phone will be more expensive than buying internet... which may also be a bit spotty so far from the equatorial satellites. But if you get ships internet, be sure to get Premium for any audio or moving-video apps:

Cruise Wi-Fi Plans & Internet Packages (hollandamerica.com)

11 hours ago, azalice said:

Will I be able to make and receive phone calls easily during the Alaska Explorer Seattle roundtrip cruise? I need contact with my home during the 7 days. I would appreciate information and/or advice.

I looked at an Explorer itinerary. For your US ports, when we visited we had a signal with Verizon. ymmv.

As others said, premium wi-fi is worth it if you need to make calls on board, but even then voice calls might be challenging. Many of us have found WhatsApp to be the best way to connect; sometimes calls will go through.

Again, basic service in port is usually okay. We also use T Mobile, so I can't guarantee other services.