Venice

Gps47298

I need to find my own way to Ravenna. I found out from Celebrity today that they do not provide a shuttle on 9/15 since the ship schedule is to board on the 14th in Ravnna but it departs on the 15th. I am allowed to board on the 15th but need to find transportation to the cruise port on my own. Private transportation or a taxi is too expensive. Would you recommend the train or a bus?

Are both of them pretty easy to book and are they easy to find their location near the airport? Can you get a taxi or a bus from the train station to the Ravenna port, and how far of a ride is it? 

I assume you are arriving from Venice airport on the day you want to travel to Ravenna (e.g., you'll be going straight from the airport?)

I think train is probably the easiest, but you'll have to get from the airport to the train station in Mestre (this stop is closer to the airport than the one in Venice proper). There is an express shuttle bus that runs from Marco Polo airport to this station, info here:  

https://www.getyourguide.com/marco-polo-airport-l88138/atvo-express-bus-marco-polo-airport-mestre-station-t73331/?partner=true

In order to reach Ravenna from Mestre, you'll have to transfer once. Look on the Trenitalia.com website for schedules and advance ticket purchase. Most scheduled runs from Mestre to Ravenna include a fast train to Bologna, then a transfer to a slower local line to reach Ravenna. 

Once in Ravenna, you may or may not find shuttles running to/from your ship. I'm not sure if they run on days when it is not a turnaround day in port. However, there is a local bus (no. 296) that makes the trip; I believe the cost is 2 euro per person. Taxis are sometimes available but there are only so many of them in Ravenna, so you can't necessarily count on them being at the station.  

The cruise port is about a 15 minute drive by taxi from the train station, by bus it takes about 30 minutes.

cruisemom42

Sorry, we are staying in Venice and then going to Ravenna. On the train's website.I see an option for Santa Lucia to Ravenna with a stop in Ferrera. Would transfer be an easy to navigate,

Thank you

Guy

Venezia Santa Lucia is the station in Venice proper, so that's the only you'll want.   As this is a terminal station (all lines end here), all tracks are accessible.

The transfer will not be difficult at all, Ferrara Centrale only has six tracks so it won't be far from one to another.  There is an underground passageway to move from one track to another as well as elevators.

Station info (in Italian only):  Ferrara (rfi.it)