Can we talk more about the planes at Maho Beach?

Davechipp74

I plan on doing a Maho Beach excursion on my upcoming cruise. I just wanted up to date information about the experience as the threads here are a little dated. Is there enough time to travel from cruise port to beach bar for the day, enough time to see some bigger planes land/take off I here theirs a board at a bar just like inside the airport showing arrivals and departures, which is the best bar to chill at for the best plane experience, so on and so forth? TYIA 

The Sunset Bar is probably the closest.  There is a board but it's not like the airport, it's just a chalk board that they write on.  Your best bet is to go to a site like Flight Award and search for SXM.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/TNCM.  That will give you all of the arrival times and aircraft types.  There aren't many really big planes landing there anymore.  A couple of A330s are the only twin aisle planes.  

• Like 1

Howdy Davechipp74,

I assume that when you say you are "doing a Maho Beach excursion"; that you are grabbing a taxi and heading over to the beach.  The taxi ride is a set fare of around $10 per person each way.  The Sunset Bar is the large bar on south side of the beach (runway runs east/west).  I would recommend that you rent a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella from the Driftwood Bar on the north side of the beach.  The chairs come with a drink.  The bar staff will know which planes are scheduled to arrive and should have an approximate time of their arrival.  The bar staff will also work with you to call a taxi when you are ready to head back to the port.  There were several drivers waiting at the beach attempting to fill up a van full of people before heading to the port.  But there is no need to wait, just find an empty taxi and leave.  The beach is rather small and if it wasn't for the airport runway, it wouldn't really be a place to visit.  We spent a relaxing day there capturing photos of the planes flying over.  It was also interesting to watch the people line up at the end of the runway and get sand blasted when a big jet would take off.  I wasn't interested in standing there and getting sand blasted, but to each their own.

• Like 1

Go with a taxi from the taxi stand just across from where you buy water taxi tickets. Taxi stand area will be on your right hand side.. Last visit there it was $12.00pp roundtrip.

You'll be dropped off in the parking lot of the Sunset Bar. We like to get a table near the rail order a bit of food and drinks. We usually try to be there between 10:30 & 11:00am and usually see a few small planes land and a couple of big ones.

When you're ready to leave for us it'll be around 1:00pm the taxi's will be lined up in the parking lot and you'll be directed to one. Our wrist band shows we purchased a round trip. They load up and leave quickly. We then opt to have the taxi drop us off in town instead of back to the taxi stand. We like to do a bit of shopping and walk through the town. We then take the water taxi back $6.00 pp.

We've done this many times over the years... Enjoy St Maarten and Maho !!

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

Has anyone gotten a day pass at the Sonesta Maho Beach to watch the planes?  I believe their beach is near the Driftwood Bar on the North (?) side.  I realize we wouldn't be as close as the Sunset Bar, but it is all-inclusive and we would still get to see the planes.  Going to print the Sunset Bar menu though to really do a cost analysis and see if it's a good deal.

On 8/12/2023 at 11:11 AM, olemissreb said:

Has anyone gotten a day pass at the Sonesta Maho Beach to watch the planes?  I believe their beach is near the Driftwood Bar on the North (?) side.  I realize we wouldn't be as close as the Sunset Bar, but it is all-inclusive and we would still get to see the planes.  Going to print the Sunset Bar menu though to really do a cost analysis and see if it's a good deal.

Thanks for posting about this.  What did you decide? So many reviews said reservations aren't needed and you can just pay at the desk but I'd be nervous they didn't have enough room. 

4 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks for posting about this.  What did you decide? So many reviews said reservations aren't needed and you can just pay at the desk but I'd be nervous they didn't have enough room. 

We haven't decided anything yet. We don't sail till March '25 so I'm just researching now.

Does anyone know if there is a parking fee at Sunset Bar? And if there is ample parking?
Last time my daughter and I went there we rented lounge chairs by the pool and our taxi driver offered to hang out and be there when we wanted to return to the ship.

Edited by suzyed