New tourist trains in Italy

marazul

There's also a new Rome to Pompeii direct train scheduled to start sometime in 2024.  As this will include a new train station and transportation hub at Pompeii, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the date slip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Italy has announced new tourist train routes, some using vintage trains. They should start being implemented in the next few months. This sounds like a great complement to a cruise or just the main part of a land trip.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-tourist-trains/index.html

Sounds like a great idea!  

1 hour ago, Girr said:

There's also a new Rome to Pompeii direct train scheduled to start sometime in 2024.  As this will include a new train station and transportation hub at Pompeii, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the date slip.

That would be convenient. 

1 hour ago, Girr said:

Can you point me to info on this train? I love Rome and I love Pompeii. It would be great if there was an express train between the two. I'd be happy to spend a day or even two days in Pompeii for every week in Rome. 

This train has already started but it's very, very limited.  Right now it only runs once a month, on the third Sunday:  Inaugurato il nuovo Frecciarossa diretto tra Roma e Pompei - MetroNews

Right now it goes to the existing Trenitalia Pompei station, then a bus takes you to the excavations.

Here is the official announcement, but it says nothing about a new train station nearer to the site:  MiC e Gruppo FS: da Roma a Pompei in Frecciarossa dal 16 luglio parte il nuovo collegamento diretto (fsitaliane.it)

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Girr said:

Is it your assumption that a new station will be needed, or did you read that somewhere?

You know what they say about assuming, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.  😀

It was posted in Afar.com (June this year), and it mentioned the new train station and transportation hub.  I didn't get to Pompeii this year and would be interested in hearing from someone if they noticed any new construction along the train line.  

Also read recently the once a month service currently operating will be going to once a week (Sunday) starting 6 August. (Per www.italymagazine.com).  As you stated this is a train/bus combo.  

I found the Afar article, unfortunately they don't identify their sources other than "the Italian government recently announced".  I've been digging around looking for more information, because this is great news, but so far no luck.  The projects listed for 2023-2027 by RFI don't include anything about Pompei, but I did see something about improving the line between Pisa and Florence to allow higher speed trains, which is great news for cruisers.

Per la lunga percorrenza (rfi.it)

I think you're right about the date being slippery.

Well, you got me thinking, so I started digging.  I did find the source, Gennaro Sangiuliano, Italy's culture minister; however, while this project has been mentioned in multiple Italian newspapers, and magazines (including the Smithsonian's) you're absolutely correct nothing can be found making this official.  Plus, I don't see how this happens in 2024.

I sure hope this isn't just a pipe dream.  At least there's still the once a week train/bus direct service (well, starting this Sunday).

Italy's culture minister, Gennaro Sangiuliano, announced on the TV show Che Tempo Che Fa that Italy has a plan to build a route for a high-speed train that goes directly to Pompeii from Rome or Fiumicino. The tracks and train will cost more than 35 million euros. Plans for the train help tourists who want to go to Pompeii and do not have many days in Italy. Currently, to go to Pompeii from Rome, it takes more than two hours for a journey of 240 kilometers and a change in Naples, and also a regional train that has many stops before arriving in Naples. With the new route, tourists can go directly to Pompeii without making changes and in less time than now. Sangiuliani said there will be a new stop built near Pompeii. Construction will begin shortly and the project will be finished in 2024. The route will not have stops in coastal villages to reduce the length of the journey. There will also be the possibility to reach Herculaneum, Oplontis and Stabiae. Pompeii is the ancient city that was destroyed during the eruption of the volcano Vesuvius in 79 AD.