Cinque Terre - Train, Ferry or Both?

TheHawk1

Our cruise stops in La Spezia on October 4 and we're planning to tour Cinque Terre on our own.  I thought the ferry looks like a more scenic route and not as crowded as the train might be?  However, the ferry schedule changes on Oct. 1 and there appears to be a reduced scheduled with fewer boats.  Wondering if it would be a good plan to take the ferry north in the morning, stopping at a few of the villages and then take the train back to the port?  The train runs more frequently and would be faster getting back to La Spezia.  Our ship doesn't depart until 8:30 pm, so we have all day, but don't want to be panicking that we would miss the last ferry back and I've noticed that not all of them stop at La Spezia.

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Our cruise stops in La Spezia on October 4 and we're planning to tour Cinque Terre on our own.  I thought the ferry looks like a more scenic route and not as crowded as the train might be?  However, the ferry schedule changes on Oct. 1 and there appears to be a reduced scheduled with fewer boats.  Wondering if it would be a good plan to take the ferry north in the morning, stopping at a few of the villages and then take the train back to the port?  The train runs more frequently and would be faster getting back to La Spezia.  Our ship doesn't depart until 8:30 pm, so we have all day, but don't want to be panicking that we would miss the last ferry back and I've noticed that not all of them stop at La Spezia.

Or take the ferry all the way to Monterosso first to get there a lot faster, and then the ferry between the towns. You can always take the train back to La Spezia from the last town.

From experience, generally, the trains are a faster and more efficient way to do the Cinque Terre. The ferry from La Spezia to Monterosso takes over an hour (at the fastest)... I think the train is around 20 minutes? If you're looking to maximize time in the towns, the train is almost always a better choice. Also, I think the ferry skips Corniglia, which we ended up enjoying the most for the views, cooler temps, and fewer tourists. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

From experience, generally, the trains are a faster and more efficient way to do the Cinque Terre. The ferry from La Spezia to Monterosso takes over an hour (at the fastest)... I think the train is around 20 minutes? If you're looking to maximize time in the towns, the train is almost always a better choice. Also, I think the ferry skips Corniglia, which we ended up enjoying the most for the views, cooler temps, and fewer tourists. 

Correct, but the views are great fromthe sea, so taking the ferry for the short ride between a couple of the villages really adds to the experience. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marazul said:

Or take the ferry all the way to Monterosso first to get there a lot faster, and then the ferry between the towns. You can always take the train back to La Spezia from the last town.

Ooops!  Mistype. 

I meant "take the train all the way to Monterosso first to get there faster, and then the ferry between the towns."

Edited by marazul

Most of the trails are open.

The Via dell'Amore, the most famous one, has been closed for years.  There are some claims that it will reopen next summer but I wouldn't count on it.  This is the waterfront path between Riomaggiore and Manarola.

The lower path between Manarola and Corniglia is also closed.  

In both cases there are upper paths available but they are more difficult and not for novice trekers.

You can see the map of trails indicating what is open here:  Paths and Outdoor | Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre (parconazionale5terre.it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...