September Weather Southampton to New York

Gail Boertzel

At this remove it's impossible to say, the weather in the North Atlantic at that time can be as good, or better, than high summer, or stormy, windy and wet. It's a complete lottery, it's not like the Med in July or Australia in January. So you have to prepare for both scenarios, and hope that if bad weather strikes it's just for a day or two.  The nature of the jet stream does increase the chance of poor weather towards the end of September but again no guarantees. I've had a very sunny and flat crossing in mid December.  The one thing to bear in mind is that there's no weather shelter mid ocean, so windy weather will drop temperatures compared to a land equivalent. I would certainly be packing at least some warm clothing.

Edited by Pushpit

It's a crap shoot.... my first westbound crossing, Cannes to New York, aboard Italian Line's peerless T/n RAFFAELLO, in September 1974, we hit the tailend of a hurricane the last day at sea. It was thrilling to be on deck (barely!) and see her plough through the Force 10 seas and throw spray over the superstructure.  Even the Italians had to slow down... just a wee bit. And we still arrived at New York on time. 

But other crossings in September have been pretty tranquil and often less foggy than July-August. And a lot warmer than April ones.  

My advice: forget the weather what ifs, pack a nice thick sweater and a waterproof for every crossing and revel in the wonders and vageries of The Great Western Ocean. There's nothing like it. 

We're doing the round trip next week (again), and, as has been posted, know from experience, the weather can be clear, foggy, sunny, cloudy, warm, cold, windy and the sea can be lumpy, calm, stormy and that's just August!

Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

• Like 1

Yes the worst weather we ever had was in August. Despite Captain Hazell taking QE2 600 miles off course to avoid the worst, we still had Force 9 winds and very lumpy seas.  Over a thousand people missed breakfast that Sunday, and all sang ‘For those in Peril on the Sea’ with extra fervour.

Check out the app Ventusky. There’s a free part of it and a small charge for lots of weather and sea conditions info: wave height etc. 

I believe someone on these boards mentioned this site. 

1 hour ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Thanks for all your eye-opening info. Guess I'll be packing for a wide range of weather. Is there any weather website that gives info for mid-Atlantic?

Gail,

We made a crossings (SH-NYC) in September and the weather was varied but generally nice. We enjoyed lounging and walking on the Promenade deck most days and using the outside hot tubes on Deck 8 every day but one when it was cold and rainy. However the wind outside is constant due to the speed of the ship and the west to east moving weather. Would highly recommend bringing a hooded sweatshirt but shorts as well.

Here is a link to a North Atlantic weather site that you may find helpful.

Hope this helps
Jack

On 8/2/2023 at 9:13 PM, Gail Boertzel said:

Just wondering if anyone with experience can advise whether it will likely be bathing suit, sit by the pool weather early in September or will we be indoors most of the time?

Thanks!

Westbound tends to be quite windy, as the ship is heading into the prevailing wind, which acts a discouragement to spending too much time on deck.  The last couple of days as the ship nears the US can be quite warm at that time of year; the earlier days depends on luck of the draw with British and mid-Atlantic weather.

People usually express a preference for westbound TAs, but if you enjoy time on deck the eastbound is usually better, and if you are lucky the ship’s speed can almost cancel out any wind and you can sunbathe in very calm conditions going east.

Edited by IB2

I am doing a return crossing next week. Thinking I may have to review my swimwear packing in favour of jumpers. if it’s not going to be sunbathing weather. I have a sheltered balcony so,at least I,can sit out if it’s windy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am doing a return crossing next week. Thinking I may have to review my swimwear packing in favour of jumpers. if it’s not going to be sunbathing weather. I have a sheltered balcony so,at least I,can sit out if it’s windy. 

I'll watch out for you if you're departing on 11 August.