NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans, NCL General info request

Alan & Lin

On 8/9/2023 at 4:53 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

the sailing down the Mississippi is always nice.  I just wish they would depart at 10:00:am so you could see the mouth of the river during daylight. For sailaway get on the port side, as after the ship sails it will turn and you want to see the French Quarter and it come up quick and lasts but a few minutes.  Lots else to see downriver.  Grab a drink, find an outside spot and watch all that history float by.

I am Sapphire on NCL and Platinum on Carnival, I do not prefer one over the other, I chose value of cruise primarily.  NCL having CruiseNext is of great value to me.

In September 2011 my DH and I had btb on the Carnival Triumph, a 4 day followed by a 5 day.  The 4 day experienced very bad weather and the river was closed when we should have been coming in.  We sat outside the river most of the night and only made the trip up starting around 8 am which delayed the arrival.  We may have been the only people undisturbed about this since we did not have to get off.  We arrived late in the day and did not leave til early morning.  We got to see the trip both up and down during the daylight.  We loved this experience.  BTW, we learned that there are alot of cows in south LA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here my 2 cents. I think Carnival has better desserts and pizza. And I like Guys Burgers and the taco stand. The food in MDR on NCL is better, I like all the fish choices. The buffet is much better on NCL. The entertainment is better on NCL, if you can see Burn the Floor that is my fave. I found lots of lines on carnival, for the buffet, dining room, buffet stations. I never did get my Mongolian wok.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

Feb is a good time, between holiday rush and spring break.

Yes, you can bring your own insulated container and fill it up at the buffet, or any bar on board.  We have never had a bartender say no, although they will probably hand you a plastic glass of ice water. If you use the same bar and bartender, they will just fill your glass for you.  They do for daily soda's for my wife once they recognize us.  Tipping always helps.

Read reviews on Syd Norman's.  Assuming you like 70's music, 3 nights worth, about 90 minutes each night.  Classic hits, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors LP, Prom Night songs.

We really enjoyed Burn The Floor.  Lots of dancing and very good band and singer.  Of course these rotate, so could be a different group of people, but I assume the songs will be the same.

Unknown if-when Six will be replaced.  We first saw in 2019 when it was unknown.

Personally, seeing it twice, and one more time before it leaves, will be enough for me.  Not a big fan of it.

NCL could replace with an unknown show, or maybe BeetleJuice (coming on Prima) or simply wait awhile before adding another show.  No info from anyone on this. There is the usual scattering of duets and solo acts through out the ship at night, as well as parties on the aft deck Spice H2O and the Bliss Lounge.

Thanks so much for this detailed reply! We went ahead and booked the Breakaway for Feb 25, 2024 out of New Orleans and will start planning some excursions now. I've been to Costa Maya and Cozumel many times, but this will be my first at Roatan and Belize. Planning to do a scuba excursion at Roatan and maybe have a beach day at Harvest Caye! I really appreciate the insight since NCL will be a new experience for us.