Carnival Magic Incident?

EdmundXXIII

Carnival Magic departed from Norfolk a little while ago, and I just noticed she’s come to a stop in the River, near the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. She’s now surrounded by several police / military police boats.

Anybody on board know what’s going on?

• Thanks 1

I grew up in Tiredwater (spelt correctly) on N.O.B. I wish they had had cruise ships from Norfolk when I was a kid. The closest to it from Norfolk was the Little Creek - Kiptopeke Beach Ferry from Little Creek just east of the Amphibious Base that sailed to the Del-Mar-Va Peninsula arriving in Cape Charles before the Bay Bridge Tunnel was built. I sailed the Magic from Cape Canaveral last November and it was a good 8 day cruise. 

Pin on Virginia's Eastern Shore

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rainbowflag said:

I grew up in Tiredwater (spelt correctly) on N.O.B. I wish they had had cruise ships from Norfolk when I was a kid. The closest to it from Norfolk was the Little Creek - Kiptopeke Beach Ferry from Little Creek just north of the Amphibious Base that sailed to the Del-Mar-Va Peninsula arriving in Cape Charles before the Bay Bridge Tunnel was built. I sailed the Magic from Cape Canaveral last November and it was a good 8 day cruise. 

Pin on Virginia's Eastern Shore

I grew up here and have lived here most of my life. Cruising out of Norfolk is fabulous. Done it four times and going on the Magic next month. Starting in ‘25, we will be a year-round home port. (About time!)

• Like 1

Just now, EdmundXXIII said:

I grew up here and have lived here most of my life. Cruising out of Norfolk is fabulous. Done it four times and going on the Magic next month. Starting in ‘25, we will be a year-round home port. (About time!)

Yes, I've been reading the updates. The city would be smart to buy some land adjacent to the cruise terminal for a covered parking structure. The break ins off site in downtown lots has been unfortunate. I hope Norfolk will support Carnival ships for years to come.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

Yes, I've been reading the updates. The city would be smart to buy some land adjacent to the cruise terminal for a covered parking structure. The break ins off site in downtown lots has been unfortunate. I hope Norfolk will support Carnival ships for years to come.

The city has majorly improved security at the parking site after the issues they had.

It does suck that you have to park offsite though. There’s really no adjacent land that’s undeveloped. They could always look into expanding an existing parking structure vertically.

The cruise terminal will be closed from this November until February of 2025 for “improvements,” but they haven’t announced what that will be. Just that they’ve agreed to these improvements as a condition of Carnival home porting year round.

This year, they have substantially improved their port operations. I live near the port and frequently watch the goings on. Rarely do the lines of either cars or people get too long. It used to be a total cluster-!*#%. Not sure what they changed, but it’s definitely better.

I usually have friends drop me off a few blocks from the terminal and walk if I’m cruising out of Norfolk.

And for non-locals, you can check with downtown hotels about parking deals. Some offer to let you park during the cruise, and are walking distance to the port. You have to pay, but it’s not any worse than the “official” lot.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

Sounds a lot like a medical emergency. Most likely the case. 

Given the time frame, I figured either:

A) Helicopter med-evac, and police boats were making sure other traffic steered clear, or

B) Passenger(s) got rowdy or some type of criminal behavior, and someone was getting handed off to NPD for a private cruise back to port.

• 2 weeks later...