Scooter & Hearing impaired questions for NCL cruisers

phoenix1181

I recently completed the Special Needs Request form for an upcoming NCL cruise and have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered here.

I was on Bliss in December and did not enjoy the ship as much as I should have because I couldn't physically handle a ship that size.  Getting from one end to the other sometimes brought me to tears.  I frequently ordered room service for breakfast (no charge in December but $4.95+ now) and meals @ The Local because the dining rooms were just too far away for me to deal with.  I am planning to rent a scooter from Scootaround and am wondering if it fits through the balcony cabin door?  If not, are there places on each deck for them to be stored when not in use? If it fits, how difficult is it to get in if you are alone? I am in a regular balcony cabin on the Joy.  Will the scooter be available at the port (New York) or is it delivered to your cabin?  Trying to figure out if I should be requesting wheelchair assistance for boarding & disembark.

I wear hearing aids and requested assistance with phone, wake up calls & door knocks and am curious as to what they provide.

Any & all information is greatly appreciated.   

Have you seen this?

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Your scooter has to be no larger than 26 inches wide to fit through your stateroom door.   It has to stored in your room.   Ask Scootaround about scooters that fit NCL's  criteria.    

I would request wheelchair assistance for when you embark and on the last day when you disembark.   

Maybe someone else can answer, but I would ask Scootaround where you pick up your scooter in New York.   Plus it will be on your confirmation once you book your scooter.   

And if you book a scooter from Scootaround,  ask them to apply discount code USCRUISE for a discount.    This code is from United Spinal.    

If you don't have experience with a scooter,  you might practice with the ones in grocery stores or at try them out at a local mobility store.   A mobility store might even have the same one you will be renting.   

If you like the scooter you rent, you might book an accessible stateroom next time.   You would have to book early as they get booked fast.   You and your scooter would have more room and a wider door.  

1 hour ago, kokopelli-az said:

You and your scooter would have more room and a wider door.  

It's not just that the door is wider, but they usually open at the touch of a button/card.  

Thank you both!  I verified with scootaround that the scooter will fit though the door. 

There are a few accesible cabins available & I will be contacting CAS in the morning to see if they will move me to one.  The ones I can identify are aft cabins which means a higher price.  I've got my finger crossed that I can be moved at little or no additional cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I've previously rented a scooter cruising out of NYC on NCL.  I rented from Special Needs At Sea -- be sure to compare their prices with Scootaround.  I picked up & dropped off the scooter in the terminal, which means I had it for check in and boarding.

Make sure you understand what you are renting and that it will fit thru the doors.  Most scooters will.  But it can take a lot of practice to get thru the doors efficiently.  It helps if you are cruising with someone else who can hold the door for you.  A lightweight or folding scooter means you can lift or push it in situations where you can't quite pilot it thru.

We kept our scooters in the nearby elevator lobby, but that's not really allowed and they didn't like it.