Confused if we are Star or Sky Class

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

We had an actual STAR Loft Suite on the Ovation.  And, I'm here to tell you that the soot was a major issue.  I can't remember the suite # right now, but it was one that had 3 balconies, two rear-facing and one upstairs facing out the side, if I remember correctly, it had a hanging straw chair.  It was the one big rear-facing one (the otherwise best one) that was the problem.  One thing I don't understand - Why would the Steward care how dirty a towel is?  It's not his/her problem, they don't pay for them, they don't have to wash them.  NOTE:  That's not meant to be derogatory towards you at all and I don't expect an answer.  I'm sure it happened.  Just don't understand, why.  

We have been in the side facing Grand Loft Suite on the Ovation and although a little smaller than the middle Grand Loft Suites, they are still in Star Class.  The three category of Star Class lofts on the Quantum class are the Royal Loft, Owners Loft and the Grand Loft Suites.  Any other suite on those ships are Sky class (or Sea Class).  We did the three balconies for the Alaska sailing and having side and rear facing balconies, including the upstairs, was great.  We could get out quickly and see lots of scenery and wildlife from multiple spots.  

We did have some soot, but it wasn't too bad.  We also used a towel to wipe the rails on occasion, so it is more common.

When I was on Ovation out of Sydney in 2020 I made friends with the suite concierge.  She was having a heck of a time with sky class suite guests that thought they booked star.  Imagine the let down when there was no genie, no UDP, no DX, no gratuity.  Apparently they had re-categorized some suites and guests didn't know or made assumptions.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdwkings said:

We have been in the side facing Grand Loft Suite on the Ovation and although a little smaller than the middle Grand Loft Suites, they are still in Star Class.  The three category of Star Class lofts on the Quantum class are the Royal Loft, Owners Loft and the Grand Loft Suites.  Any other suite on those ships are Sky class (or Sea Class).  We did the three balconies for the Alaska sailing and having side and rear facing balconies, including the upstairs, was great.  We could get out quickly and see lots of scenery and wildlife from multiple spots.  

We did have some soot, but it wasn't too bad.  We also used a towel to wipe the rails on occasion, so it is more common.

For me, the one that we stayed in will always be called a Star Loft Suite even though I know it's really a Grand Loft Suite.  And yes, it was a little smaller than the other loft suites but had much better views and versatility, I think.  Man, that would suck expecting to be Star (w/Genie) and not be.    We actually had an inner suite (Star Class, Grand Loft) booked and moved to the outer suite.  The inner would have been bigger but only one view.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

For me, the one that we stayed in will always be called a Star Loft Suite even though I know it's really a Grand Loft Suite. 

Part of the reason of my post was to share about the three verandas, some feel that those specific suites are lacking because of the inside square footage being smaller.  We liked it with the extra deck, as it seems you did, for the extra views in Alaska.  We have the same room booked for a future saling but it is over a year away so not 100% certain that it will happen.

The other reason is the shear amount of bad information that is out in the internet, including the possible confusion related to the original posters question bout the youtube video.  You can call it what you want but trying to help anyone that reads through the thread.  There is a Star Loft suite on the Oasis class and it is a Star class but the three lofts I mentioned are the only ones that are Star class on the Quantum ships.

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

Totally agree that the naming convention and the changes they made to try and clarify them, have done nothing but add more confusion.  You really have to research and be SURE you know what you are getting,

We have stayed in both the "side-facing" and "rear-facing" Grand Loft Suites on Anthem.  In Feb 2019 we did a B2B and stayed in the middle (rear-facing) suite (8724) on the first leg and the "corner" (10720) on the second leg.  Personally, I would never ever recommend the corner GLS (the one with the 3 balconies) to anyone who is paying for Star Class.  Perhaps in the case of Alaska they provide some unique viewing options but otherwise, they are definitely inferior to the center (aft-facing) suites.  The upstairs area in the corner lofts are tiny...we couldn't even fit all of our hanging clothes into the tiny closet upstairs.  The entire "dressing area" of the center suites is missing on the corner suites.  IMO these [corner suites] are fine as Sky class lofts but do not meet the level for SC.  If you have a choice, I highly recommend the center suites on deck 10.  The noise from 270 is slightly less up on 10 and I think the square footage on 10 is very slightly greater than it is on 8.  The noise on deck 8 GLS is very VERY loud during 270 performances.

• Like 1

My guess is that the video poster was getting a tour of several rooms (possibly a TA or something like that), as they posted right about the same time with a royal loft video.

Betting they put the snacks there as a display for the press/tour videos they knew would be taken and the poster simply didn't know any better.

Or, this person booked the RLS and a sky loft and was (incorrectly) having their Genie service both rooms.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:31 AM, wdwkings said:

Part of the reason of my post was to share about the three verandas, some feel that those specific suites are lacking because of the inside square footage being smaller.  We liked it with the extra deck, as it seems you did, for the extra views in Alaska.  We have the same room booked for a future saling but it is over a year away so not 100% certain that it will happen.

The other reason is the shear amount of bad information that is out in the internet, including the possible confusion related to the original posters question bout the youtube video.  You can call it what you want but trying to help anyone that reads through the thread.  There is a Star Loft suite on the Oasis class and it is a Star class but the three lofts I mentioned are the only ones that are Star class on the Quantum ships.

Happy sailing!

Okay, but I don't think anything I said was at all confusing for anyone. "For me, the one that we stayed in will always be called a Star Loft Suite even though I know it's really a Grand Loft Suite".  And the discussion was about a Quantum Class ship, not an Oasis Class.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 12:24 PM, RFerrington said:

We have stayed in both the "side-facing" and "rear-facing" Grand Loft Suites on Anthem.  In Feb 2019 we did a B2B and stayed in the middle (rear-facing) suite (8724) on the first leg and the "corner" (10720) on the second leg.  Personally, I would never ever recommend the corner GLS (the one with the 3 balconies) to anyone who is paying for Star Class.  Perhaps in the case of Alaska they provide some unique viewing options but otherwise, they are definitely inferior to the center (aft-facing) suites.  The upstairs area in the corner lofts are tiny...we couldn't even fit all of our hanging clothes into the tiny closet upstairs.  The entire "dressing area" of the center suites is missing on the corner suites.  IMO these [corner suites] are fine as Sky class lofts but do not meet the level for SC.  If you have a choice, I highly recommend the center suites on deck 10.  The noise from 270 is slightly less up on 10 and I think the square footage on 10 is very slightly greater than it is on 8.  The noise on deck 8 GLS is very VERY loud during 270 performances.

HI Faye!!!!!