Can you insure points and miles for flights and hotels?

KyleClark

Some policies have a scheduled amount that will pay up to the limit to redeposit miles, but no you can’t insure the implied cash value.

Chase fee-based credit cards will reimburse travel purchases made with rewards as long as the dollar equivalent is shown on the invoice. Otherwise it is $.01 per reward unit. I don’t think I’ve seen that in third-party policies.

Edited by Babr

57 minutes ago, KyleClark said:

I am using a significant amount of points and miles for our flights and hotel stays before and after the cruise.  Are these insurable if I have to cancel or return home before the end of my trip?  Thanks,,,

What type of points are these?  I'm not sure that "all points" are handled the same way.  We've only used airline points from associated charge cards (and also Amex Membership Rewards).

We've been able to re-deposit (re-bank) the awards points if for some reason we weren't able to take the flight.  This was always done prior to the flight, so I'm not sure what would happen if one was sick and missed the flight.

And I don't know about whether "rewards hotel reservations" can be cancelled with the points re-deposited.

We *were* reimbursed by travel insurance for the modest fee to re-deposit the points.

GC

2 hours ago, KyleClark said:

I am using a significant amount of points and miles for our flights and hotel stays before and after the cruise.  Are these insurable if I have to cancel or return home before the end of my trip?  Thanks,,,

Hi KyleClark,

Points and miles have a $0 insurable trip cost. Here's more information:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/frequent-flyer-and-free-travel-award-coverage/

Steve Dasseos