Alaska Cruises

cstrick

Not exactly sure what info you're looking for but I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may have (as will others I'm sure). As for excursion books, you can book excursions online about 60 days away from sailing OR there will be an excursion book sent to you with your cruise documents which you'll receive approximately 30 days out. You can also book once on board (but take the chance that something real popular may be sold out and you will then go on a waitlist).

Actually many months before you can book your tours (you really don't need to worry about a tour being sold out) Regent post the various tours (or anticipated tours) on its website. There are actually many tours already posted for the summer of 2007.

If you find your cruise on the Regent site, then click on the Ports and Excursions tab and then click on the drop down menu for the various ports, you will see - if you scroll down - a list of tours. If you click on the specific tour that interests you a detailed description is provided.

As for information, it depends what you are looking for. There are quite a few posters that have good information on various topics. I would, for example, strongly recommend you sign up for the Tracy Arm glacier tour. There are others as well which are worthy of special note, but it depends on budget, desire to fly, amount of activity you want, etc.

Thank you for the info. I am really interested in your opinions on the cruise line and the particular ship. Are there any tips on dress? What are the cabins like ? Will they have been upgraded by next year ?:)

The ship is very nice and the cabins are all-suite with plenty of space, a good design and a large marble bath. Because the ship is smaller you will find it can cruise into smaller areas than HAL ships, and because it is a bit faster it can linger a bit longer.

Most, if not all, of the "Regent" upgrades should be completed by the time you sail. When I was on the Mariner last summer (2005) I had no issues with the ship at all. My issues were with the staff, but I understand that there is an extensive training program which is underway, so hopefully that will also be a thing of the past. (That said, even with the hiccups, compared to my HAL experiences, the Mariner staff was better overall.)

One area where Regent truly excelled was the naturalist. She was everywhere, well educated and extremely entertaining to listen to. I cannot give a better compliment to her.

There is a definite benefit to cruising Alaska on a smaller ship.

Sign up for the Tracy Arm tour as soon as it's sign-upable. It was the most popular and the best part of the cruise. Most of the others are not overwhelmed - one of the nice things about a smaller ship.

Service on the Mariner is much better than HAL. By the second day on-board, four staff members knew I drank Diet Coke, and brought it without being asked.

It's a catamaran ride that picks you up directly from the ship early in the a.m. on the morning you are cruising Tracy Arm. This is my third trip to Alaska, and I am doing it for the first time. Apparently, it takes you off the beaten path into some areas/coves the larger ships cannot get to, and drops you off in Juneau to meet the ship in the early afternoon. I am really looking forward to it, though it is an early excursion! For a first time cruise in Alaska, Tracy Arm is lovely no matter the vessel from which you see it!

I, too, have been unable to get excursions because they were sold out at the time I wanted them (PG). One time on the Navigator, I booked online way in advance, got on the ship, had 2 out of 3, and was told the other was sold out. Kicked up a bit, because of early booking, and they came through. Worst excursion I ever had! (It was in Norway, a hike to a glacier that was a hike to h*ll through a rock field. One lady fell and broke her wrist~

cstrick, you can see what the cabins look like by visiting the website http://www.rssc.com . Cabins are great, especially if you have cruised the mega lines in the past. All ships are due for refurbishments with the re-branding, mostly for soft goods. I have had 16 cruises with RSSC, and 4 booked in the future, so obviously service has not been a problem with me. Would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Thanks for all of your responses. I found the 2006 excursion book so I now have an idea of what is available. We look forward to the Tracy Arm cruise. I'll be up early in the AM on the day that we can pre book. I checked out the suites and they were great. This is only our second cruise but I hope to have many more.

Yes to both questions. Laundry (or just pressing) is available as well as drycleaning. The price is pretty reasonable. There are laundryrooms on the ship as well with 3 washers and 3 dryers (and ironing boards) to do it yourself at no charge.

Internet is also available. There are several internet plans to choose from. You can choose anywhere from pay by the minute (very expensive...I think $.35 cents a minute!!) up to buying a block of 250 minutes for $50. There is wifi on Deck 6 as well if you want to bring your laptop (billed the same way).

Archived