Geiranger questions

skatie

We are in Geiranger on NCL Prima Sept 12.  I don’t think I can do the popular viewing points on Eagle's Road as I get motion sick and I know the drop offs would make me tense (had experience in Europe!).  I see a beautiful looking waterfall Fossevandring where the base of it is walking distance from the port.  Ideally I’d like to get transportation to the top at Hotel Union and walk down.  Is there taxi or bus transportation at the port to get to hotel?  We also saw the two seater electric cars that could be rented   Are they safe to drive and whereabouts could you explore and be back within the hour limit?  Thanks 

We were in Geiranger a couple weeks ago and rented one of the eMobility cars and loved it. We drove to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and spent some time exploring. We chose the three hour option. The cars come pre-programmed with a GPS tour that highlights the key points of interest. Stopped at 4-5 different spots on the way back from Dalsnibba. No issues with safety. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KrisD28 said:

We were in Geiranger a couple weeks ago and rented one of the eMobility cars and loved it. We drove to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and spent some time exploring. We chose the three hour option. The cars come pre-programmed with a GPS tour that highlights the key points of interest. Stopped at 4-5 different spots on the way back from Dalsnibba. No issues with safety. 

@KrisD28 thanks for your response - did you pre-book the emobility car or just rent it when you got of ship?  Thanks

@BuckeyeMark yes that is the site I was looking at.  The website does say you need to show valid drivers license.  I think based on the cancellation policy (no refunds), I think I'll wait and try to book at the port on the morning we arrive.  Since cars are rented on a 1-3 hour basis, I suspect if we can't get one first thing in morning that we'd be able to get one later.   I wouldn't want to be driving those roads if its really foggy or rainy - which is a real possibility!

Edited by skatie

We were just there yesterday and it was rainy and foggy.  We did take a bus tour that we bought tickets for in town.  Because lots of the upper roads were closed, we only went to two viewpoints, one being the waterfall.  We met some people there who walked there from the cruise ship They had to walk on the side of the road and it often didn’t have much shoulder area.  It is a steep walk, but doable. 

There were several mini rental cars still available when we were there.  You can’t miss them, they’re right in the town center.

• Like 2

I was there 2 weeks ago and saw one of those red City Sightseeing buses that stopped at the Fjord Center which is across the street from the Hotel Union.  I think that bus also goes to one of the other viewpoints (Flydalsjuvet?).  

There are stairs that follow the Fossevandring waterfall.  The walk up didn't take that long.

We booked a bus tour that visited Mt. Dalsnibba and 2 other closer viewpoints - Eagle's Road and Flydalsjuvet (I wish we had more time at each stop!).  The roads were packed with cars (often cars would need to wait while a bus navigated the turns).  We saw some of those little electric cars amongst the congestion between the large vehicles.  They would be fun but not on a busy day.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:48 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Did you need to do anything special to drive in Norway? Is a valid US driver's license all you need? 

Unless your licence is follows the EEA, Vienna convention or Geneva convention models, you need an IDL. https://www.vegvesen.no/en/driving-licences/driving-licence-holders/driving-licences-in-norway-and-abroad/using-a-non-eueea-driving-licence-in-norway/?lang=en

And make sure you know the road signs and rules of the road, and follow them to the letter. Norwegian traffic tickets are no joke. 

• Like 1