Hotel new jersey

katesmum

We are cruising on Venezia from the Manhattan cruise terminal. We are driving down from Canada and going to spend a few days pre cruise in NJ. Then morning of cruise drive over and park at terminal. I see that parking at terminal is a bit more expensive however it is very convenient for coming home, no waiting around.We are looking at the envue or Sheraton Lincoln harbor.  Just wondering what others have thought of these hotels?also best route for getting to cruise terminal on a Monday morning. Thanks for all the help. 

9 hours ago, katesmum said:

We are cruising on Venezia from the Manhattan cruise terminal. We are driving down from Canada and going to spend a few days pre cruise in NJ. Then morning of cruise drive over and park at terminal. I see that parking at terminal is a bit more expensive however it is very convenient for coming home, no waiting around.We are looking at the envue or Sheraton Lincoln harbor.  Just wondering what others have thought of these hotels?also best route for getting to cruise terminal on a Monday morning. Thanks for all the help. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Last summer we sailed out of the MCT after having driven down from Montreal. We chose to stay at the Residence Inn, which is a sister brand to the Envue and co-located in the same building in Weehawken. Excellent location, great hotels, very new and modern, with an excellent restaurant in the lobby for dinner overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Also very convenient for forays into Manhattan. We didn't bother to drive over to the MCT on cruise morning, enduring Manhattan traffic and pay the eye-watering parking rate. If you are planning to drive into Manhattan on a Monday morning, that would be even worse due to the rush hour traffic. We used the ferry system, as the hotel is a few steps away from the big Weehawken ferry terminal. We parked our car in the hotel/ferry parking garage for half the cost of the MCT parking and took the ferry across the Hudson. The NY Ferries are very easy to use with moderate amounts of luggage, very accessible. Once across the river, it's a 13 minute walk up the Hudson Greenway pedestrian-only path to the ship. We had also looked at the Sheraton, but chose the Residence inn for its better location; the ferry terminal at the Sheraton is smaller with less frequent service

We have looked at this hotel and also parking at the ferry terminal.The reason I am now hesitant is that we were originally cruising in October but had to change plans to cruise in March just a bit concerned about the walk with all MY luggage if weather is bad. The parking at the cruise terminal is expensive!!

I have not read much on these boards about the parking at Weehawken. I am going to look into this option. Thank you  for the information, is greatly appreciated

10 hours ago, katesmum said:

Hi lx200gps

Is the parking at the ferry terminal covered?

Hi yourself  ;o)  There are actually two parking garages at the Weehawken ferry terminal. The one we used is in the same building as the Residence Inn, Envue and the restaurant I mentioned. It's basically one huge building. The parking garage is completely indoors and multi-level. We parked near an elevator and took the elevator down to the hotel lobby. For IIRC $2/day LESS, there is an overflow garage one block north in case the main garage at the hotel is full.  You can go to Google Street View and see the overall layout of the hotel/garage building, where the entrances are etc. And you will also see how ridiculously close the hotel is to the ferry terminal building.

You raise a valid point about weather if walking up the Hudson from the ferry terminal to Pier 88. It's an easy 15 minute walk on flat ground and free from worrying about cars (though you might have to dodge crazy cyclists ;o)  It didn't rain the days we walked it, to and from the ferry terminal, but I had planned for it just in case. We always bring small travel umbrellas on any cruise, and I simply brought along two large bags to cover our suitcases just in case. Bottom line is that parking at the MCT is a little less than TWICE what it cost to park in Weehawken, and the savings are even better when one factors in the US/Canadian exchange

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

The poster was asking about the parking garage at the Weehawken ferry terminal across the Hudson from the MCT

I realize that, but if they were concerned that the ferry terminal might have uncovered parking, they might also be concerned that the MCT was uncovered as well. 

Well I definitely think staying and parking at the ferry terminal in Weehawken is what we will do. Just wondering if the weather is not so great can you get a cab when you get off ferry instead of walking to the cruise terminal?