Azamara Pursuit South Africa Intensive CapeTown questions

AnnaNicole

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We found the V&A area quite lovely as a base.  Lots of restaurants to choose from and sights to see.  For more info, here's my blog of our trip [Cape Town comes at the beginning]:

jazzbeauxafricansafari2018.wordpress.com

We are going on the ZQ so hope the cockroach issue is solved 😬🤦‍♀️.  Great photos. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We found the V&A area quite lovely as a base.  Lots of restaurants to choose from and sights to see.  For more info, here's my blog of our trip [Cape Town comes at the beginning]:

jazzbeauxafricansafari2018.wordpress.com

Wow!  Thank you for sharing.  Lots of useful information.  🙂

Your flight experience is my worst nightmare!

I booked the PortsWood Hotel.   It was very reasonable.   

Edited by AnnaNicole
  • Like 1

We used Heritage tours from st Lucia at Richards bay, did a safari, a wetland safari and a swim at the beach great price and they were very reliable plus we were a group of six our group of four and two others which was so much better than the big tour groups.

We stayed in cape town for a couple of days one block from the waterfront.  Our hotel offered a free shuttle which took about 15 mins to drive due to the one way system and traffic

, it only took about 5 mins to walk there but we were advised that it was much safer to take the shuttle especially when the sun goes down.  On our second day we witnessed police at the hotel interviewing a couple who had walked and been robbed. So please take care and follow the advice from your hotel.  The waterfront area has very good security but the area local to it not so much.   As in any big city be streetwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the advice on hotels, excursions, location, and safety.   The A & V Waterfront area provides for an excellent base and was a great recommendation. We have traveled extensively and lived abroad a couple of times.   I feel comfortable in new cities, as we follow good practices for safety and sensitivity.  

Here is what I have booked so far:

CAPETOWN

Booked:

*Pre-cruise hotel: PortsWood Hotel for 4 nights.

*Post-cruise: City Lodge Hotel (V&A Waterfront) for one day.   Our flight leaves at 11pm.   This hotel is cheap and its sole purpose is to provide a day place for our luggage and rest.

*Gold Restaurant reservations for African dinner, drumming, and entertainment.

Plan to Book:

HOHO 3 days

Lunch at Camps Bay  - Recommendations???

Three Vineyards Winetour  

Penguins/Marine life

Considering Aquila Private Reserve.  Has anyone done this excursion?

PORT ELIZABETH:

Booked Pumba Game Reserve (cruise ship excursion)

RICHARD'S BAY:

Plan to look into Woodley's suggestion for Heritage tour safari, wet safari, and beach.  Is this tour similar to Azamara's Wildlife snorkel safari?

How about Thula Thula Game Reserve?  Opinions?

EAST LONDON:

Considering Gonubie Beach for whales, dolphins, etc.    Has anyone done this tour?  Any opinions?

MAPUTO:

I have no clue.  Nothing is standing out.   Any suggestions?

DURBAN:

Undecided.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Your best bet in Camps Bay is to walk along the front and see what takes your fancy. It is a very short walk, over the years have eaten at many of them, some have changed ownership. Up to now never had a bad meal, and hope that continues for you. If you like fish there is a good choice available and of course the steaks and ribs are always a good standby, if fish is not your thing. We go down on Pursuit and are spending Christmas at Moullie Point a short walk from the V&A. We often eat at the Mozambik which is not one of the high end restaurants in the V&A but we have always enjoyed it as have friends we have taken. It is very popular and you normally need to book especially for dinner. If you like pub grub Mitchells brewery just along from the Big Wheel has always satisfied, be aware the portions are certainly not small. The City Lodge is fine for what you are doing, in fact, would be ok for 2or3 days, it is not high end but when I have used them, they have always been clean and comfortable.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Salties said:

Your best bet in Camps Bay is to walk along the front and see what takes your fancy. It is a very short walk, over the years have eaten at many of them, some have changed ownership. Up to now never had a bad meal, and hope that continues for you. If you like fish there is a good choice available and of course the steaks and ribs are always a good standby, if fish is not your thing. We go down on Pursuit and are spending Christmas at Moullie Point a short walk from the V&A. We often eat at the Mozambik which is not one of the high end restaurants in the V&A but we have always enjoyed it as have friends we have taken. It is very popular and you normally need to book especially for dinner. If you like pub grub Mitchells brewery just along from the Big Wheel has always satisfied, be aware the portions are certainly not small. The City Lodge is fine for what you are doing, in fact, would be ok for 2or3 days, it is not high end but when I have used them, they have always been clean and comfortable.

My husband and I lived in Farnham, Surrey County and he misses great fish & chips.  Do you know if there is a good British-style fish & chip shop in Capetown?  

Edited by AnnaNicole

Hello Anna, well ,well as they say "it's a small world". I lived in a small village outside Farnham and went to school there in the 50's/60's. There are fish&chip shops in Cape Town but there is not one in the V&A. They normally do hake 'n chips rather than cod or haddock. Mitchells do it as do many other places, including a fish chain called Ocean Basket. Even here in England not every chip shop does it perfect but you should be ok in the V&A, if not have extra mushy peas to help the taste.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Salties said:

Hello Anna, well ,well as they say "it's a small world". I lived in a small village outside Farnham and went to school there in the 50's/60's. There are fish&chip shops in Cape Town but there is not one in the V&A. They normally do hake 'n chips rather than cod or haddock. Mitchells do it as do many other places, including a fish chain called Ocean Basket. Even here in England not every chip shop does it perfect but you should be ok in the V&A, if not have extra mushy peas to help the taste.

It is a small world.  🙂

It is really impossible for him to replicate the wonderful fish & chips experience of Farnham.   Food and memories combined are my theory.  We lived on West Street, by the library.   My daughter attended preschool at the Maltings.  As a family, we would often stop to pick up fish & chip takeaway (perfectly crisp and wrapped in newspaper) on our way home from school and enjoy it in the park.   Very fond memories.

He won't eat mushy peas.   I love them!   

He will be happy if we can find some great fresh fish dishes.   

• Like 1