Joy - Crew's name tags/languages

Railfan30

10 minutes ago, Railfan30 said:

Do the Joy's crew wear name tags and do they show a flag or name of their country?  Our son mentioned learning a few words in other languages to "converse" with the crew.  

All name tags have their name, position, and home country. (I ask permission to take photos of the name tags of the crew that I plan to write hero cards for... Regan was a wonderful waiter on the Escape in Cagney's)

image.png.6e9722f492b76743acf8a00e1de18197.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

@Railfan30 That's great of your son to do that. We also do the same for cruises and find in many places around the world when you travel and at least try to say "hello", "good-by", and "thank you" in the main spoken language / dialect it is usually greeted with a smile (although, usually with my pronunciation a smile AND a wince). Here's a few we have accumulated for "Hello", "Good-Bye" and "Thank You" for the most common cruise ship nationalities:

• Tagalog / Filipino: Kamusta, Paalam, Salamat Po (the "po" indicates respect)
  • Hindi / India: Namaste, Alavida, Dhanyavaad
  • Brazil & Azores / Portuguese: Ola, Adeus, Obrigado
  • Central America & Cuba / Spanish: Hola, Adios, Gracias
  • French and Haitian Creole / Mauritius / Haiti: Bonjou, Orevwa, Mesi
  • Croatia / Croatian: Bok, Dovidenja, Hvala

We actually wrote down all of the above and took a photo on our phone to have it handy for meals and other ship interactions as I am terrible at languages. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Railfan30 said:

@BirdTravels and @amygutman - Thank you both!  A few simple (attempted) words, a smile and kindness go a long way.  Personally, I've been trying to compliment strangers more, especially while waiting in line.  The conversation can be one-sided (me), awkward, confusing, etc., but sometimes it's really great!

@Railfan30 There is so much ugliness in the world so we always try to counteract it on a personal level. No, we are not "Polly Positives" (yep, actually called this once on a CC forum) - in fact, after almost 30 years working primarily night shifts in hospitals and fire departments I am generally a crotchety human. 

However, in "real life", my husband and I have a thing: "Each day pick up one piece of trash, make one person smile, do one random act of kindness". It works well and balances out my karma. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 5

I've found a few words of Indonesian to be very appreciated on cruise ships:

Thank you: terima kasih

You're welcome: sama-sama

Excuse me: permisi

Good morning: selamat pagi

Good evening: selamat malay

A few more in Tagalog:

Good morning: magandang umaga

Good evening: magandang hi gabi

And in Swahili: