Iona - standard balcony cabin location advice please

CruisingSarah

I hope this is the right place to ask but please let me know if not.

I am looking for advice on choosing a standard balcony cabin on Iona.

Please can anyone advise on how disturbed you might be having a balcony cabin on the promenade deck 8?  Maybe not so bad further forward where there is no seating area and just a walkway?  Or maybe it's not an issue and people don't outdoors congregate on deck 8, though with the hot tubs I would guess they do?

Also how would deck 9 above the public areas, pub, theatre etx on deck 8 be, any noise issues from below?

Also what about the far forward cabins on Iona?  Even right on the front?  I'm kind of hoping that this ship does not move much at all and so any motion issues would be minimal?  I wouldn't have hesitated but have recently returned from a Norway cruise on a small old ship in bad weather (force 9 for 4 nights)  and for the first time in 12 cruises I was affected and this was in an aft cabin so hence I am now more cautious.

Many thanks for any info at all.

I may be wrong But I think its only conservatory suite balcony's on deck and 8 no standard balcony's.

2022-Iona-deck-plans.pdf (pocruises.com) 

The above link shows all the decks and cabins, there is a key so you can match the colors to the style of cabin you want.    

In terms of location, its really about personal preference. we don't mind being far away from the stairs and lifts but some see this as a must.    

Just make sure that once you have picked your room and location just have a quick look on the deck plans to make sure there is no loud bars above / below as this could potentially be a little noisy.  

Edited by AndyLovesCruises
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruisingSarah said:

From my experience the best ones are the ones 'on a corner' such as 15317, 15316, 15515, and 15514 (and the equivalents on the other decks).

Those balconies are huge, absolutely huge, and extend far out beyond the overhanging upper decks so you can choose whether to have shade or take the five minute walk to the end of the balcony and get sun.

But equally *never ever* pick 15315, 15314, 15517, or 15516 (and the equivalents on the other decks) as someone stood at the end of the balcony of 15317, 15316, 15515, and 15514 will be looking straight into you cabin - not just the balcony, but the whole cabin.

12 hours ago, CruisingSarah said:

Please can anyone advise on how disturbed you might be having a balcony cabin on the promenade deck 8?  Maybe not so bad further forward where there is no seating area and just a walkway?  Or maybe it's not an issue and people don't outdoors congregate on deck 8, though with the hot tubs I would guess they do?

I wouldn't, you will get people walking past all the time and your cabin and balcony is in full view - it would be like sitting in a deckchair in your front garden on the high street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CruisingSarah said:

I hope this is the right place to ask but please let me know if not.

Also how would deck 9 above the public areas, pub, theatre etx on deck 8 be, any noise issues from below?

Also what about the far forward cabins on Iona?  Even right on the front?  I'm kind of hoping that this ship does not move much at all and so any motion issues would be minimal?  I wouldn't have hesitated but have recently returned from a Norway cruise on a small old ship in bad weather (force 9 for 4 nights)  and for the first time in 12 cruises I was affected and this was in an aft cabin so hence I am now more cautious.

Many thanks for any info at all.

I'd avoid deck 8 for the lack of privacy plus anywhere close to a hot tub. People in hot tubs tend to talk loudly to each other due to the noise of the pump / bubbles and you get to hear all sorts of stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

I may be wrong But I think its only conservatory suite balcony's on deck and 8 no standard balcony's.

2022-Iona-deck-plans.pdf (pocruises.com) 

The above link shows all the decks and cabins, there is a key so you can match the colors to the style of cabin you want.    

In terms of location, its really about personal preference. we don't mind being far away from the stairs and lifts but some see this as a must.    

Just make sure that once you have picked your room and location just have a quick look on the deck plans to make sure there is no loud bars above / below as this could potentially be a little noisy.  

Thanks but I'm pretty sure they are, they are the GC and GF ones on deck 8 promenade.

3 hours ago, andyS87 said:

Hi Sarah,

We have just booked a cabin with one of the much larger corner balconies that are referenced above. We used the guide on this page to help us decide:

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/po-iona-cabins/

It's a pretty comprehensive guide of the best and worst cabins on the ship.

Thanks for sharing that link I will have a good look!

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

From my experience the best ones are the ones 'on a corner' such as 15317, 15316, 15515, and 15514 (and the equivalents on the other decks).

Those balconies are huge, absolutely huge, and extend far out beyond the overhanging upper decks so you can choose whether to have shade or take the five minute walk to the end of the balcony and get sun.

But equally *never ever* pick 15315, 15314, 15517, or 15516 (and the equivalents on the other decks) as someone stood at the end of the balcony of 15317, 15316, 15515, and 15514 will be looking straight into you cabin - not just the balcony, but the whole cabin.

I wouldn't, you will get people walking past all the time and your cabin and balcony is in full view - it would be like sitting in a deckchair in your front garden on the high street.

Thanks this is really helpful and I will have a good look at the cabins you mention both to choose and to avoid!

And yes this is exactly what I was trying to gauge, just how much is it like having people stare in to your cabin and balcony as they are passing 😳

Thanks everyone so much, I think I will be avoiding balcony cabins on deck 8 then, not really fancying being in a goldfish bowl!!

Will also check and amend the booking where we are potentially being left open to be 'upgraded' to one of these as just selected a balcony mid ship location but not a specific cabin!

We had 17317: a GC corner balcony, but absolutely huge. No one could look in to our balcony room, and it was at the end of a corridor so super quiet. People could in theory look at you if you are stood at the edge of the balcony, but it’s not really an issue, it’s not like I’m invisible any other time, or that I sit in the nude on my balcony, or that I’m worth looking at compared to the scenery 😂 

It does have a big overhang, but we really liked that as it was shaded from rain/wind - and we aren’t sun-worshippers. 

It’s my favourite balcony we have ever had. 

We previously had deck 9 and it was just noisy with the people in the hot tubs including a group of people who got in drunk every afternoon singing bad songs badly 😬

E3CC9912-C10D-4AED-9298-FFD050D5411B.jpeg

FDCE8563-BCED-4B2F-803D-5F34126E8AFF.jpeg

• Like 1

We had one of the large balconies on the opposite side of the same deck.  Previously had a similar larger balcony on a lower deck.  Great size.  If we book Iona or Arvia again, would be aiming for one of those again.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 1

I had a front balcony on deck 8.  The balcony is larger has a partial overhang from the deck above so that you can be outside in the rain if you want.  Also you can sit behind the glass panel for even more protection.  Yes people come past, most seem to try and not look in.  The balcony door can be difficult to open, especially when on the move, and there is the risk that you will be shut in in bad weather, but there is still a window to look out of.  You get noise from the ships mechanics when docking etc.

I’ve got 17219 on a cruise later this year, looking forward to trying that one out as it has a different layout to most cabins, and one of the large corner balconies.

• Like 1