Cloister of the Clarisses, Naples

Senga

That's an odd translation - what you're looking for is the Cloisters of Santa Chiara:  English – Chiostro di Santa Chiara (monasterodisantachiara.it)

This is one of my favorite places in Naples, an oasis of peace and quiet in the heart of the city.  There's a lot to see there beyond just the cloisters as well, see the information linked above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Senga said:

We will be docking in Naples next month and, aside from pictures on Flickr, I can't find any information on this place

OP not surprised you didn't find the info when you were using the wrong name.

We have visited these pretty cloisters, the first stop for us on our self guided walking tour of the historic centre. (or maybe they were the stop before we began our walking tour.) We walked from the terminal building and they were easy enough to find. They really are as pretty as the photos suggest.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Senga said:

@edinburgher @euro cruiser   The same walking tour that provided the incorrect name for the cloister has also provided San Francesco di Paolo Basilica and Naples City Park as must see sites.  Is this another case of incorrect names?  Can you provide the correct information?

I think that if I were you, i would google every reference/highlight/sight on that walking tour, because if they got one thing wrong they probably got others wrong too. And the name "Naples City Park" doesn't exactly sound Italian does it?

We had found ours online by searching somethig like "self guided walkinh tour Naples historic centre", had no issues at all and were able to explore parts of the city which were new to us.

21 hours ago, Senga said:

We will be docking in Naples next month and, aside from pictures on Flickr, I can't find any information on this place.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

That's an odd translation - what you're looking for is the Cloisters of Santa Chiara:  English – Chiostro di Santa Chiara (monasterodisantachiara.it)

Actually, they are the same.  The Clarisses or Poor Clares is the order of nuns founded by Saint Clare of Assisi (Santa Chiara) and St Francis of Assisi in the early 13th century.

13 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Is this another case of incorrect names?

If you are more "tech savvy" than we are, (we usually print off and take with us the old fashioned way) you could look at GYPSmyCity (Naples) which has been recommended in the past. We have looked at it for elsewhere and adapted it to a word documnt and printed off to suit our own purposes.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Naples has several large parks but given the odd translations so far, I'm guessing they mean the Villa Comunale:   Comune di Napoli - La Villa Comunale di Napoli

The description actually reads:  Naples City Park  As you head further west through the park, you’ll see the impressive statue of Italian general Armando Diaz.  Just across the street from here is the Rotundo Diaz (a great place to get some photos of Naples) and the tiny Mappatella Beach.