Travel insurance

jrblueblue

6 hours ago, jrblueblue said:

I live in UK wondering on other people's thoughts on travel insurance on a Caribbean cruise

Tough question to answer.

Travel insurance and/or requirements are regulated by each country and in the US, it's even further regulated by each State.

It also depends on the risk each individual is willing to take financially when it comes to risk tolerance. Losing a $5000 trip? I can absorb. A $50,000 medical bill would possibly bankrupt me.

Another issue is the consumer protection laws in each country. As I understand it, if you were to get trapped in the US due to some global emergency, your laws require that your travel provider pay the expenses to get you back home. The same cannot be said for me should the same thing happen, and I get stuck in Italy due to Mt. Etna spewing volcanic ash in the air.

If I were you, I'd at the very least ensure I had a good medical and evacuation policy.

There are many things to consider. We never used to buy it--but we lived in US, in Florida so we just get to port and depart for Caribbean. We didn't have to worry about flight delays etc. Now however, we are officially senior citizens. Also, we are now traveling abroad more. So I did some research and talked to a lot of people on these boards. 

For us--our credit card, which we paid for the cruise with, covers the cruise cancellation, delays, luggage, etc. For the amounts not covered we were willing to take the risk rather than pay like $800 each for comprehensive insurance offered by cruise line and our TA. Instead, we purchased an annual policy for medical. This covers emergency medical transport up to a $1 million, as well as other medical expenses--which are not covered by my health insurance when not in the US. That was $460 for two of us for a year. I listed the 3 major trips we have planned and the total anticipated cost of each.

I know the details will not be the same for you in UK, just hoping this information gives you a starting point to work from. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, brzymom said:

There are many things to consider. We never used to buy it--but we lived in US, in Florida so we just get to port and depart for Caribbean. We didn't have to worry about flight delays etc. Now however, we are officially senior citizens. Also, we are now traveling abroad more. So I did some research and talked to a lot of people on these boards. 

For us--our credit card, which we paid for the cruise with, covers the cruise cancellation, delays, luggage, etc. For the amounts not covered we were willing to take the risk rather than pay like $800 each for comprehensive insurance offered by cruise line and our TA. Instead, we purchased an annual policy for medical. This covers emergency medical transport up to a $1 million, as well as other medical expenses--which are not covered by my health insurance when not in the US. That was $460 for two of us for a year. I listed the 3 major trips we have planned and the total anticipated cost of each.

I know the details will not be the same for you in UK, just hoping this information gives you a starting point to work from. Good luck!

Be sure you understand the pre-existing conditions exclusion. It extends to relatives who are not traveling with you. That casts a fairly wide net of folks who need a clean medical history for the 60 days prior to your booking. Otherwise, your cancellation coverage is void.

Know that delay is limited to $500 and reimburses only if the delay is weather, mechanical, or strike related.

Trip interruption will reimburse the unused portion of your trip and change fees to get home. That’s all. If you have additional expenses of any kind including a new, more expensive ticket, you are not covered.

The coverage isn’t designed to replace a comprehensive policy. That is why it can be included as part of a group of benefits in exchange for your annual fee. Just know its limitations.

• Thanks 1