Assuring a table size by tipping matre'd

divinc

On our soon to embark cruise I have requested a table for 2, the reason being my spouse has difficulties that may be embarrassing if we sit with a group.

I was planning to talk to the mater'd as soon as we board. I assume our request was not filled. Question: How do I make my request and acknowledge that I am willing to give a him a gratuity should he help me? And when do I tip him if he does help me?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Phil

Phil-- request a table for two with your agent-- its a request. Once onboard the first place you should head is the dining room to see your table assignment. if it is not a 2 table.. then you want to see where and when the Matre D will be present-- its listed in the ships papers

YOu want to get this done as early as possible. so maybe the first night dining could be alone. the longer you wait the harder it might be

We have requested a table for two a few times. No special "tipping" required. Just need to see the Maitre d when he's outside the restaurant at the beginning of the cruise (often times there will be signs telling you when he'll be there for making seating changes).

Good luck!

The problem is that no matter how much you tip the matre d', he may not be able to accommodate your request for a table for two if the ship is fully booked.

That actually happened to my husband and me on Brilliance of the Seas last year. The maitre d' could not give us either a table for two or the seating time we wanted either. In fact, a woman in front of us in line with the maitre d' was crying inconsolably and her husband was yelling loudly about "paying all this #$* money for a cruise and we can't eat when we want."

Thus the advice above to work with your travel agent to make sure your request is placed. If it isn't, when you board go right to the maitr d' and explain your situation and difficulty. Maybe he will pull out all stops for you knowing your situation. Good luck. I hope you can be seated where you want..

if y0u want to tip him i would do so right after he tells you that you have your table request-----------------------based on the earlier posters statement regarding an outspoken pax-- an ounce of honey goes a lot further then a pound of salt

I don't think a tip will do you any good. I would go see the maitre d' as soon as you board and explain your situation and hopefully he'll do what he can for you. If he goes out of his way to help you, give him a tip then.

I don't think a tip will do you any good. I would go see the maitre d' as soon as you board and explain your situation and hopefully he'll do what he can for you. If he goes out of his way to help you, give him a tip then.

I totally agree with this,and hopefully by expalining your situation you will be helped.If not there is always dining in your room or on the other hand if it can be done w/o to much trouble you could explain to your tablemates the problem and I bet you may find them very understanding.Good luck.

You all have been very helpful. I will explain the situation and be very gracious with the Matre'd. And if it doesn't work out I will explain to my table mates and do whatever to make the trip enjoyable for ourselves and not interfer with anyone els's pleasure.

Phil

Phil, I think most people are far more gracious than you expect. I think if I recognized a problem with a person (I'm guessing physical limitation or difficulty and it's none of my business) I'd accept it quickly and get on with the pleasure of dinner.

For those who can't be accepting, you probably don't want to have dinner with them anyway.

I'm feeling bad for the woman who was crying whilst her husband was making a fool of himself. That type of episode can ruin a whole cruise vacation, I know I'd avoid those people the whole week, expecting them to blow up in my face, too :rolleyes: . If the Maitre d' cannot fill your request the first night, it's very possible it can be done the second or third. There are also other options available for dining, no one has to go hungry on a cruise.

Phil, all good advice above. I have requested a table change only once. I had requested early dining and got late. I checked with the Maitre d' as soon as I could, and he was understanding and said he would do what he could and let me know by 5pm. I tried to hand him a $10, but he said "No, sweet lady, I won't accept that, but let me see what I can do." I did receive a note in my cabin around 4:30 that my seating had been changed to early. I thanked him when I saw him that evening, and gave him a tip the last evening.:)

Hate to say it, but there is lots of tipping going on the Golden Princess! With the personal choice dining, one of the few ways to get a dinner reservation outide of their preferred dining times is to grease a few palms. We have seen a lot of it going on this week on the Golden. Basically, if you want a reservation from 7-8pm, the only way to get it is to tip. Have personally seen it happen every night this week.

Archived