Sundeck 11 is prohibited entry for passengers on the Nieuw Statendam!

Bruges

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

"Poor grammar and punctuation" said one reader.  "Why use generic sources as quotes" said another source!

Most prestigious, on June 4, was the 16-deck MS Queen Victoria, making its first call at the port under Stena Line’s ownership.

I didn't realise that Carnival Corportation had sold Queen Victoria! 😁 To my mind that is a very ambiguous sentence.  But then modern journalism is copy and paste.

(Stena Lines owns Hollyhead port).  

Or AI

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

They'll assign you 25 cabins to clean and worry about finding the hiring paperwork later..

Ha ha! I love it! I gurantee you I will try crossing it on my next cruise to see if alarms start goig off. Who knows....I might make some new friends :)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, RD64 said:

My current stewards are responsible for 32 cabins.

But New Hires in training, especially those who have yet to complete onboarding paperwork, are assigned fewer so they will still finish on time as they will not receive OT. 🙄🫣

Strange things seem to be happening! On our Zuiderdam cruise in June this year, I was surprised to find that the forward Observation Deck (deck 11, forward from the Retreat) was closed to the public and marked Crew Only. I have never seen this before on a HAL ship. On the Rotterdam last year, this area was definitely open. I was never a fan of that area because the wrap-around tinted glass made it useless for taking pictures (except on the fondly remembered Prinsendam and Maasdam which had no glass, only rails). But, in the past it has sometimes been a useful dark area at night for an astronomy lecturer to point out stars and galaxies to groups on trans Pacific cruises.

Can't think why they would close these areas except maybe staff shortages are making it attractive to close little used deck spaces to reduce the workload of cleaning and tidying them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erisr said:

On our Zuiderdam cruise in June this year, I was surprised to find that the forward Observation Deck (deck 11, forward from the Retreat) was closed to the public and marked Crew Only. I have never seen this before on a HAL ship. On the Rotterdam last year, this area was definitely open. I was never a fan of that area because the wrap-around tinted glass made it useless for taking pictures...

Can't think why they would close these areas except maybe staff shortages are making it attractive to close little used deck spaces to reduce the workload of cleaning and tidying them?

Deck 11 on the Zuidy is the Sports Deck. (Deck 10 is Observation Deck and home to the Crows Nest.)

I am beyond happy that the hard-working crew have somewhere with open air (even if they use it to smoke!) to spend whatever time they have. The aft space where available is even better (see: smoking). Most passengers don't even know there is a forward deck on deck 11, unless they have a permit to the Retreat and then they wouldn't want to be on the open forward deck anyway.

If any particular passenger never sees crew in the reserved area, it doesn't mean it isn't used OR appreciated.

I am sure it is not staff shortages, except in the aspect of keeping staff happy to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 6 or so months at a time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Supershot said:

Does anybody know if the Nieuw Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise in Oct. 2023 will be affected by the drought?

You have posted your question on a thread about a different topic on a different ship.

I have been reading that cruise ships pay much more than (for example) freighters, and will get priority with what water there is. But I suspect the topic is being discussed to death on this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/