Western Mediterranean Excursions Question

My wife and I have a western mediterranean cruise booked and these are our ports of call. Depart/Return Barcelona, Cannes, Florence/Pisa(Livorno), Rome(Civitavecchia), Naples, Messina(Sicily), Valletta, Cagilari, Palma(Majorca). 

To anyone who has been to these ports, will we need to book excursions at each of these ports or will we be able to just disembark and experience beautiful sights and towns right off the ship?

This is our first mediterranean cruise so anything and everything that we see is going to be new for us. 

Thank you!

In Cannes, there is a beach walking distance from the port.  You can walk around there.  Rome and Florence are a good way from the respective ports.  If that's where you want to do, planning is necessary.  You probably should not count on booking an excursion just walking off the ship.  In Naples, what do you want to do?  For anything other than going into Naples, planning is necessary.  You can DIY to the major destinations, but you can't count on booking something at the port.  You can walk around Palma right off the ship.

On 8/17/2023 at 8:56 AM, WappNY said:

My wife and I have a western mediterranean cruise booked and these are our ports of call. Depart/Return Barcelona, Cannes, Florence/Pisa(Livorno), Rome(Civitavecchia), Naples, Messina(Sicily), Valletta, Cagilari, Palma(Majorca). 

To anyone who has been to these ports, will we need to book excursions at each of these ports or will we be able to just disembark and experience beautiful sights and towns right off the ship?

This is our first mediterranean cruise so anything and everything that we see is going to be new for us. 

Thank you!

I'd highly recommend the Rick Steve's Mediterranean cruise ports book or Kindle book. It gave me a lot of info and confidence to navigate the ports with excursion recommendations, or ideas to do our own tours.