Uniworld - Ultimate France Masterpiece Questions

HappyTvlr

I'm preparing for the Ultimate France trip in October, and I would appreciate information on some of the Masterpiece options.  In2019 the Ultimate European Journey in 2019 so I know that they provide more information and I can book once onboard, but I am curious about a couple options. 

Rouen – Mont St. Michael – It appears to be an 11 hour trip because of the drive time.  I'd like to know if anyone has done it and what you thought.  I really want to know if you miss the evening Night’s out concert because this looks amazing.

Honfleur – My husband is going to play golf in the morning, and we are wondering if he will be back in time for the trip to St. Wandrille and Monastic beer in the evening.

Macon -  I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Chateau de Rully wine tasting vs Beaune and hospices. I realize this is comparing apples and oranges, but would appreciate your thought based on your experience.

Please add any additional thoughts on the excursion options. I am a huge fan of Uniworld because of their excursions, but I find that getting the information in advance is difficult and there were issues on our European Journey with options filling up.

• 5 months later...

I see no answers but maybe you can help me as I have the same question about taking the 11  hour tour to Mont Saint Michele from Rouen.  Did you do it?  If so, were you able to take the evening excursion in Rouen? Going in May. 

As you have no answers I will try. I’ve only been to Mont St Micheal on a road holiday in France fascinating, interesting and worth the trip as it was a compliment to a trip only a few weeks earlier to St Michael's Mount a few weeks earlier, luckily I could do the comparison. An eleven hour, hopefully round coach trip is really for you to decide, I wouldn’t but obviously some do. I have heard that occasionally and I do mean occasionally your final destination would not be achievable for various reasons, that of course could happen anywhere. Rouen, well what a city and area, you think France is historic well this city alone could knock your socks off. Joan de Arc, the Museum of fine Arts, the Medieval parts the sheer history and it’s not that far from the WW1 battlefields of the Somme. I’ve cruised the Seine twice and driven the area many times whatever you choose you’ll enjoy, it’s trying to fit it all in that’s the challenge and personally I think that eleven hours could be spent absorbing the closer area of France (and that’s from an English woman).

I saw your earlier post and meant to reply but forgot- I took this trip last spring. I did not go to Mont Saint Michel and don’t believe it is possible to go there and to the concert. However- if you really want to see Rouen, you will be docked there on Thursday, when you visit Normandy (another long day!). The dinner that night is a buffet, so you may prefer to skip that and eat in town and explore- the ship is quite centrally located and Rouen is lovely. 

Several of the Uniworld cruise managers are very active on Instagram and would be able to answer any of your questions. I have found them to be extraordinarily helpful and kind. 

good luck, and enjoy your trip!