Specialty Dinner on first night?

RocketMan275

We normally have a breakfast buffet at the hotel embarkation morning, and try not to eat too much because we will eat the suite lunch upon embarkation.  

We normally enjoy a bottle of Prosecco/wine (already chilling in our room) during the afternoon while we wait for sail away and luggage delivery.   

Typically, we will drink more than usual on boarding day and will desire a good 'LATER THAN NORMAL'  evening meal to observe sail away.

45 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We normally have a breakfast buffet at the hotel embarkation morning, and try not to eat too much because we will eat the suite lunch upon embarkation.  

We normally enjoy a bottle of Prosecco/wine (already chilling in our room) during the afternoon while we wait for sail away and luggage delivery.   

Typically, we will drink more than usual on boarding day and will desire a good 'LATER THAN NORMAL'  evening meal to observe sail away.

We don't  usually  dine until 730 or so.

BTW, is the Prosecco a sweet wine?

Much prefer dry wines.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

We don't  usually  dine until 730 or so.

BTW, is the Prosecco a sweet wine?

Much prefer dry wines.

The Prosecco on NCL has been very good…not too sweet, more dry.  I’m a Chardonnay drinker but haven’t cared for the chard on NCL.  I typically drink the Prosecco (in a wine glass) or the Pinot Grigio. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I used to eat massive plates but I changed when I got to over 280.  I'm down to 250 now and headed lower.

Congratulations on the weight lost 👍!!!  I enjoy food in the specialty restaurants and luckily not a dessert 🍨 lover…I’m more into meat, potatoes & vegetables with a glass of wine 🍷.  I hope exploring the ship/port will help burn off some of the calories gained during the cruise.

• Like 1

Special thanks to a couple of these comments for making me completely reevaluate my dining ‘schedule’ for my next cruise. I love the comments about celebrating night one with something great. We always ended our cruise with Cagney’s on the last night and did whatever otherwise.  Now I’m starting with Cagney’s (and still ending with Cagney’s) and putting Ocean Blue in the middle.  I’ll stop salivating now.  Thanks!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HoosierShipmate said:

Special thanks to a couple of these comments for making me completely reevaluate my dining ‘schedule’ for my next cruise. I love the comments about celebrating night one with something great. We always ended our cruise with Cagney’s on the last night and did whatever otherwise.  Now I’m starting with Cagney’s (and still ending with Cagney’s) and putting Ocean Blue in the middle.  I’ll stop salivating now.  Thanks!

For the first time, we'll do a specialty on the first night.

We'll report back but our cruise isn't until Feb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Y'all have convinced me that a specialty restaurant (probably Cagney's) for my embarkation dinner is the way to go.  Couple questions though:  How long does dinner at Cagney's usually take?  We are on the Viva sailing from San Juan at 7pm and I definitely want to be on deck for sail away.  Thinking dinner after sail away may be the way to go rather than before.

Other question - I may upgrade my Free at Sea to the Free at Sea Plus which gives us (my boyfriend and I) 2 extra specialty meals.  Is it possible to use one of those meals for my sister and her boyfriend - kind of like paying for their meal if we were on land?  She currently has the Free at Sea and I'm not sure if she'll want to upgrade.  If we are able to "spring" for a meal using one of our 2 extras, that would be nice.

38 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Other question - I may upgrade my Free at Sea to the Free at Sea Plus which gives us (my boyfriend and I) 2 extra specialty meals.  Is it possible to use one of those meals for my sister and her boyfriend - kind of like paying for their meal if we were on land?  She currently has the Free at Sea and I'm not sure if she'll want to upgrade.  If we are able to "spring" for a meal using one of our 2 extras, that would be nice.

Dining package meals, including free at sea and FAS+, are non transferable.

As always on NCL actual experience can vary dependant on staff, but this one is an almost certain no.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Dining package meals, including free at sea and FAS+, are non transferable.

As always on NCL actual experience can vary dependant on staff, but this one is an almost certain no.

Thank you! Hate that, but oh well...maybe I can gift (aka buy) my sister the dining upgrade.

20 hours ago, olemissreb said:

Thank you! Hate that, but oh well...maybe I can gift (aka buy) my sister the dining upgrade.

Your sis may have to buy it herself, and you can give her the money. If you have any latitudes dinners, you can use one of those for them. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Anyone ever booked a specialty on the first night?  How did that work out?

Two for two on our NCL cruises. It's worked well for us. Great way to kick off the cruise. We've got LeBistro booked first night on our next one for our anniversary.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, RocketMan275 said:

That's my plan.

Specialty on nights 1-4.

Haven on 5&6, maybe 7.

Might have butler fetch a charcuterie and have that on the balcony for night seven.  Perhaps with a bottle of chardonay.

We only used 3 FAS+ for dinners on our last cruise. We had small plates at Food Republic for lunch as our 4th.