Granada on your own excursion

daydreamer62

The excursion to Alhambra on our cruise next year is already sold out and I have the option of booking the Oceania Granada on your own transfer or an external excursion with Spain Day Tours I'm absolutely fine doing independent travel and probably prefer that so the transfer is a good option but for anyone who has done the transfer, what time did you book your Alhambra tickets for. The visit there is to of my bucket list so I don't want to miss it

You will find Spain Day Tours excellent and there are 2 free seats for every 16 seater bus. It will probably be cheaper than the transfer and includes admission to both the Alhambra and the Jenulife gardens next door.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daydreamer62 said:

The excursion to Alhambra on our cruise next year is already sold out and I have the option of booking the Oceania Granada on your own transfer or an external excursion with Spain Day Tours I'm absolutely fine doing independent travel and probably prefer that so the transfer is a good option but for anyone who has done the transfer, what time did you book your Alhambra tickets for. The visit there is to of my bucket list so I don't want to miss it

Be aware that the Granada on Your Own tour does not leave you off any where near the Alhambra and it is not too easy to get there.  If I were you, I would go with Spain Day Tours.  I have do the Alhambra with them.  The tour is adequate, they get the job done.  If you really want to see the Alhambra, this is a better choice.

• Like 1

I am on the same Insignia cruise with Daydreamer62, and would like to ask a followup question:

Spain Day Tours has a guide that day for the Alhambra (and Generalife?). However, if we want to see the old town/cathedral, Albaicin quarter, or the Carrera del Darro afterwards, we'd be on our own. In your experience, are those doable by independent walking without a guide?

7 hours ago, MJfromCA said:

I am on the same Insignia cruise with Daydreamer62, and would like to ask a followup question:

Spain Day Tours has a guide that day for the Alhambra (and Generalife?). However, if we want to see the old town/cathedral, Albaicin quarter, or the Carrera del Darro afterwards, we'd be on our own. In your experience, are those doable by independent walking without a guide?

You will not have a lot of time after the Alhambra Tour with Spain Day Tours.  You may have time for a quick lunch but that is about it.  The Cathedral and Albanian are not close to the Alhambra and you will need to walk there.  It is a long walk and then walk back to meet the bus.

I have been to the Alhambra a few times.  Twice I have done it on my own when we stayed in Granada when touring Spain on our own by rental car.  Those were the best because we could take our time exploring the Alhambra.  it was also the time when one could buy a ticket and just go in.

Now there are time slots.

Spain Day Tours gets the job done.  If going from Malaga, they make a half hour rest stop half way, which I feel is a waste of time.  It cuts into your time in Granada. On that day we did not even have time to see the complete Generalife.  I don’t think the group realized that they missed the most beautiful part of it on the highest level.

If you are lucky enough to stop at the port of Motril, the ride to Granada is much shorter and you will have more time in Granada.  That tour with Spain Day Tours was much better.  I do think that a lot depends on the guide.  The guide we had on that tour was better than the first one.  Again, you have to keep moving and no time to wander.  On the time we went from Motril, we had time to have a nice lunch prior to returning to the bus.  However, I don’t know if you would have had time to get to the Cathedral and Albanian.

I hope this helps a bit.  

I do think that if you want to do all this, you might want to hire a private guide.  That would help you get to all the places you want to see. You may want to contact South Olé Spain Tours.  They do private tours but are expensive.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

If you are lucky enough to stop at the port of Motril, the ride to Granada is much shorter and you will have more time in Granada.  That tour with Spain Day Tours was much better.  I do think that a lot depends on the guide.  The guide we had on that tour was better than the first one.  Again, you have to keep moving and no time to wander.  On the time we went from Motril, we had time to have a nice lunch prior to returning to the bus.  However, I don’t know if you would have had time to get to the Cathedral and Albanian.

I hope this helps a bit.  

I do think that if you want to do all this, you might want to hire a private guide.  That would help you get to all the places you want to see. You may want to contact South Olé Spain Tours.  They do private tours but are expensive.

This answers my question perfectly, as we will be docked at Motril - thank you so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJfromCA said:

This answers my question perfectly, as we will be docked at Motril - thank you so much!

You are more than welcome.  

I am glad you are going from Motril.  Spain Day Tours does not make the half hour rest stop.  With a bit of luck you may be able to see everything if you skip lunch.  I agree that the Cathedral and Albacin are worth seeing.  It is just so hard to do on a shore excursion.

Good luck.

Terri