2023 World Cruise wrap-up + details of independent tours

Thanks to everyone, firstly for reading my reports and secondly for the kind comments.

While I was on the Coral I emailed a detailed report to my family. I used these as the basis for the reports I posted o this forum. I added details about the tour company to help people who might be considering booking a similar tour.

I worked pretty well full time for nine months prior to the cruise planning and booking tours. I loved every minute of it. I started off researching what was available and deciding what I would like to do. Then I looked for a company I could book through. Obviously I needed a group to get a good price. Some of the tours were for seven people in a van and others were for a larger number. I posted details on this forum and later on the 'other' site. In some cases I had so many people wanting to book that I decided to book two vehicles. The vehicles were 12-seaters (Barcelona) or full size coaches (Petra and Holyhead).

I have to confess that the organisation required more time on the ship than I had anticipated, particularly when there were changes in our arrival time at a port. Anyway, it all worked out very well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks to everyone, firstly for reading my reports and secondly for the kind comments.

While I was on the Coral I emailed a detailed report to my family. I used these as the basis for the reports I posted o this forum. I added details about the tour company to help people who might be considering booking a similar tour.

I worked pretty well full time for nine months prior to the cruise planning and booking tours. I loved every minute of it. I started off researching what was available and deciding what I would like to do. Then I looked for a company I could book through. Obviously I needed a group to get a good price. Some of the tours were for seven people in a van and others were for a larger number. I posted details on this forum and later on the 'other' site. In some cases I had so many people wanting to book that I decided to book two vehicles. The vehicles were 12-seaters (Barcelona) or full size coaches (Petra and Holyhead).

I have to confess that the organisation required more time on the ship than I had anticipated, particularly when there were changes in our arrival time at a port. Anyway, it all worked out very well.

I am sure everybody appreciated the work you did with all the organising.  It is also a lot of responsibility,  good on you.

a friend of mine once said that she thought I enjoyed all the organising of flights, cruises, hotels and excursions as much as the cruises.

We recently booked a trip through a travel agent in Queensland for our Azamara med cruise.  We got to the  airport and the flight had been changed so we had a new ticket number,  she had not advised us,   I prefer to do it all myself. 

Eileen.

• Like 2

In summary, this is my opinion of the tours/ports I visited -

Komodo Island - Once was enough. It probably didn't live up to my expectations.

Singapore - Always great, but very hot and humid.

Colombo - Interesting but I wouldn't need to go again.

Dubai - Fascinating. I loved the desert tour.

Aqaba (Petra) - Petra is a 'must see' even though it is very hot in the northern summer.

Salerno - Coastal drive was lovely.

Civitavecchia (Rome) - I love Rome and enjoyed visiting again.

Elba - interesting

Marseilles - Aix-en-Provence and Cassis were interesting.

Barcelona - I loved Montserrat and Barcelona, particularly the Sagrada Familia.

Malaga Spain - Ronda and Mijas were very scenic.

Tangier - interesting

Lisbon - good half day tour

Holyhead Wales - great tour.

Belfast - good tour but I have never been impressed with the Giant's Causeway (one of the highlights of the tour).

Glasgow - Stirling Castle and the Falkirk Wheel were very interesting.

Cobh - I wouldn't bother going into Cork. I would stay in Cobh.

Dover - Leeds Castle was interesting. Canterbury was gorgeous.

Invergordon - Loved Dunrobin Castle. Tour was good.

Akureyri - loved the scenery, particularly Dettifoss waterfall.

Reykjavik - The Golden Circle Tour is a must for anyone visiting Reykjavik. Fantastic.

Nanortalik - an interesting village.

Qaqortoq - Quaint colourful houses. Interesting to visit.

Corner Brook - not much to see

Quebec - Lovely city. The Sugar Shack experience was interesting but I wouldn't go again.

Saquenay - OK

Sydney Canada - The Cabot Trail drive was lovely.

Halifax - Peggys Cove is very scenic. Titanic cemetery interesting.

New York - always fascinating. I disembarked here and flew home.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3