Making copys of those Princess photos! (Info)

Toto2Kansas

Thought I would share this as I had not heard of it before.

I recommended to a friend to sail on Princess for their first cruise. They had some photos taken on formal night and after they arrived home, wished they would have purchased more of them as gifts. Of coarse when they went to copy them they were told that it was not allowed because they are professional photos as stamped on the back.

They wrote to Princess and Princess sent them a release form to show when they copied the pics and it allows them to now have as many copies made as they would like.

I had never heard of this before and thought it might be interesting for anyone that has the same problem wanting more of those pictures that were taken by the ships photographers.

This is absolutely correct. If you go to any drug store that carries the Kodak Picture Maker scanner/pic copier you are NOT supposed to make any copies of any professionally purchased pictures. Some that I have seen have a special 'code' they use to unlock the machine which has to be keyed in by a store employee - so as to prevent this very thing....and if the clerk sees that you are copying a professionally taken picture they are not supposed to let you do it !! Must have something to do with the copyright laws

Professional photos are copywritten. There is a release form at the Kodak machines that you can take with you and have them sign on the ship. I have charge of the machine at work and I could be in trouble if I approve a printing without a signature. Better safe than sorry!

As a Walgreens store manager, I can assure you that unless you have that copyright release you and the store are in violation of the United States copyright laws. HUGE fines for the store if caught. The good news....with the release, no problem. Call the cruiseline, they'll fax you one with no problem. They got you cash on board, they really don't care.

Disney Magic 1/99

Dawn Princess 1/00

Triumph 1/01

Spirit 1/02

Norwegian Sun 9/02

Pride 1/03

Explorer of the Seas 9/03

Golden Princess 9/04

Summit 9/05

Pride 1/06

Crown Princess 9/06

Crown Princess 1/07?

I have used the Kodak kiosk at more than one local establishment many times and copied and edited the ship pictures with no question from the clerk that has to enter the code so they'll print. I have never had a problem. If you get turned away at one, try another. The clerks are too busy to worry about it---just my experience.

Judy

Also, if you have your own scanner or have a friend that has one, you can make your own copies.
We always scan in our pictures so they will come up and be enjoyed on our computer monitor when the system is idle. Once scanned in, one can transfer the file to memory card or USB key and get copies printed wherever.

FYI - just bought my son a new computer and got a Photo printer/scanner for <$80.

I bought $ 70.00 worth of ship photos (that's only two 5x7 and one 8x10 for those keeping score:eek: ) last cruise and scanned them into my computer so I could make a little email copy to send to a friend.

Lucky I did, I accidentally tossed the originals out!:eek:

At least I have the scan to print out a replacement for my photo album

I'm still kicking myself BTW :mad:

I went to the local camera shop to get copies made of our photos. The young man said he couldn't do them because they were professional portraits. I laughed and said these are pictures from our cruise. I had them in those folders they give you your pictures in from the ship. He made copies for me.

Even if you scan it yourself and take it to the photo kiosk to print, if the clerk believes it looks like it was professionally done, and they see you (and choose to enforce the rules) --- they will not let you have the photo. Trust me. It happened to me at Walmart. I wanted to put a pic of my granddaughter on one of those Walmart "cash cards" as a gift --- they would not let me use the photo I'd scanned of her.

My cousin in England found a picture of my dad in his RAF uniform and sent it to me. I took it to Walmart to have extra prints made for my brothers as Christmas presents. I was told that I'd have to have a release. Once I explained that I probably couldn't get one from England from more than sixty years ago she relented and let me scan the picture.

I was told that they used one hundred years as a benchmark, anything older than that wouldn't be a problem.

Copyright laws are in force to keep intellectual rights for such things as movies and other copyrighted images. When you pay money on a cruise for a "professional photograph" of yourself these laws are no longer in force. Since the image is of you, you can copy it and distribute it as much as you like.

Just get a scanner to connect to your computer and copy away! :) The main difference here is the subject. As long as it's you there is no copyright infringement. Stock photos of the ship or other areas are still bound by the copyright laws.

>>>Copyright laws are in force to keep intellectual rights for such things as movies and other copyrighted images. When you pay money on a cruise for a "professional photograph" of yourself these laws are no longer in force. Since the image is of you, you can copy it and distribute it as much as you like. <<<

You may want to double check that...

For information regarding copyright laws and what is covered please visit here.

http://www.copyright.gov

>>>“Pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works” include two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of fine, graphic, and applied art, photographs, prints and art reproductions, maps, globes, charts, diagrams, models, and technical drawings, including architectural plans. <<<

Photographs fall under the government's copyright laws. If I allow a professional photo to be copied I can be held liable along with the customer. Some cruiselines used to have a standing release for use at the photo kiosks. I will be packing a release form with me, better safe than sorry! It will stay on file at the store for two years after I print my copies.

Here's a copy of a post by "Merela" dated Dec 19.

I got a fax from Princess. It's a generic letter, this is what it says:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding copying photographs purchased on our ship. The reprint policy for Princess Cruises is detailed below:

Reprint Policy:

Souvenir photos taken onboard Princess vessels are for passenger enjoyment. Reprints for publications or other public uses are prohibited without submitting a written Proposal of use and obtaining written approval by the Princess Cruises - Public Relations department. Reprints requested by passengers for further enjoyment are approved on an individual basis.

If your request is in accordance with the above, this letter may act as the release to your local developer.

We hope your cruise experience was enjoyable and we thank you for sailing Princess Cruises. We look forward to you sailing with us again.

Sincerely,

Ian Johnson, Photo Operations Coordinator

I'm wondering if we just copied the letter, if it would be good enough for Wal-Mart.

Archived