Car Rental - Newport, Rhode Island

kentuckmn

I am not sure where you are planning to go with the car rental but the parking in Newport can be a bit of a challenge and add up. There is a trolley that goes around if that is something that would work. Being a tender port you wouldn’t have all day to use the car since you would have to plan on the time for tendering. Traffic getting on and off island can take a bit of time too. May I ask where you were thinking of heading to, just to get an idea of what might help.

If the car rental still is of interest the closest would be Enterprise in Middletown they open at 8 am.

6 hours ago, kentuckmn said:

One of our ports is Newport, RI. Has anyone rented a car at this port. Looking for suggestions.

I guess the bigger question is what are you trying to accomplish? As BlushPell said, a rental car just to have one in Newport is unnecessary and can be costly. Uber/Lyft work well and can be a good alternative-- even for places that are a little bitt out of town. 

If you are trying to go to places far outside of Newport there is the Enterprise they mentioned and also an Avis in Middletown we've used in the past that's a little bit further but easy to work with. 

19 hours ago, BlushPell said:

I am not sure where you are planning to go with the car rental but the parking in Newport can be a bit of a challenge and add up. There is a trolley that goes around if that is something that would work. Being a tender port you wouldn’t have all day to use the car since you would have to plan on the time for tendering. Traffic getting on and off island can take a bit of time too. May I ask where you were thinking of heading to, just to get an idea of what might help.

If the car rental still is of interest the closest would be Enterprise in Middletown they open at 8 am.

I guess we didn't realize it was an island. Thanks for the info. Uber may be our best bet as we don't even know what we were planning on doing.

Just now, kentuckmn said:

I guess we didn't realize it was an island. Thanks for the info. Uber may be our best bet as we don't even know what we were planning on doing.

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I guess the bigger question is what are you trying to accomplish? As BlushPell said, a rental car just to have one in Newport is unnecessary and can be costly. Uber/Lyft work well and can be a good alternative-- even for places that are a little bitt out of town. 

If you are trying to go to places far outside of Newport there is the Enterprise they mentioned and also an Avis in Middletown we've used in the past that's a little bit further but easy to work with. 

2 hours ago, kentuckmn said:

Newport the city isn’t an island itself but is on Aquidneck(Rhode) Island. The traffic getting on and off and around can be a bit of a pain. Uber is a good option and the drivers know the roads well. There is plenty to do and you will enjoy whatever you decide. Have fun!