Italy and Greece cruise

Anyislandwilldo

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

No, don't expect to find tours or taxis waiting on-spec.

But many ports you can DIY without transport or using trains or buses.

Just needs research, and pre-book where necessary.

JB 🙂

We're checking out the same thing.  We have visited Rome before so we aren't looking to see the inside of the Vatican or Coliseum again, so we are going to go with a Hop On Hop Off and lots of walking.  Our question is how to get from the port into Rome without paying the high transpo rate of the cruise line.  It's about $64 per person.  I love the train but they strike quite capriciously so I don't want to be trapped in Rome with no way back to the ship.  Any ideas on buses or share rides?

13 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

I love the train but they strike quite capriciously so I don't want to be trapped in Rome with no way back to the ship.

Strikes are announced in advance.  Just keep an eye out.

RT transportation offered by your cruise line at $64 per person is probably your next best option price-wise.  You'll likely be dropped off and pick up at a fairly central location which will eliminate the need for a taxi from and to Termini.

• Like 1

Firstly - Ho-Ho buses in Rome are a waste of time and money. And so very many CC members say the same.

I'm a great fan of them in most cities, but definitely not Rome because they're too big or otherwise prohibited from so many streets. They sit for an interminable time outside Termini station waiting for trade, can't get near the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc, and sit outside St Peter's Square for a while. 

Similar problem in Florence if you're going there - not allowed in the historic centre so they just circum-navigate it.

Most independents use the train - as @-Lew- posted, there are no wild-cat strikes so you won't be stranded. 

It's a bit of a faff getting to Civitavecchia station - port shuttlebus to port gate then payable shuttlebus or 20(?) minute walk to the station.

If there's a queue at the Ticket office buy from the newsagent's store.

I'm a few years out-of-date about cost, but I'll guess around €12 - €14  round-trip.

Tickets aren't dated - it's important to validate them on the platform, big penalty if caught on the train with un-validated ticket..

Train will be packed - a lot of folk will be standing, but everyone manages to get on.

Your train ticket is good for unlimited travel on the metro and local (not ho-ho) buses.

For Vatican get off at San Pietro station, t's then a 15 - 20 minute walk.

For Circus Maximus, Palatine Hill, Colosseum, Forum get off at Ostiense station and switch to the metro (blue line) at the adjoining & well-signed Piramide metro station.

Trains back to Civi will also be packed, but again everyone will get on.

Jot down train times from the various stations to Civi (and double-check them on the day), figure which is the latest train that will get you back in time - and plan to take the one before it.

JB 🙂

• Like 4