Least Expensive Time to Sail

srobinet63

What time of the year is better for finding less expensive Disney cruises ?  Is it better to use a travel agent?  We would be interested in Alaska, Bahamas or the Caribbean.  I have no desire to cruise during prime Hurricane season although I am doing so in a couple of weeks. I do not want to repeat this scenario again. I got talked into it because it's a huge family trip. 

Typically Disney cruises sell quickly.  The price goes up from opening day as more and more of the ship gets sold.  So, first you would want to book your cruise as soon as bookings open for it.  Second, the time of year does matter.  Avoid school vacation weeks and summer breaks.  Typically September - early December (except for holiday periods) are the lowest.  

Using a TA will help you understand booking patterns.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 12:13 AM, srobinet63 said:

What time of the year is better for finding less expensive Disney cruises ?  Is it better to use a travel agent?  We would be interested in Alaska, Bahamas or the Caribbean.  I have no desire to cruise during prime Hurricane season although I am doing so in a couple of weeks. I do not want to repeat this scenario again. I got talked into it because it's a huge family trip. 

We typically book cruises within the 90 day window where they will release heavily discounted guaranteed cabins if the cruise isn't full. Also, shoulder seasons (think before spring, summer break or after school starts) are typically cheaper. We booked the 3 night Disney Wish leaving September 15th 45 days out and scored a balcony cabin for 3 people for $2700. Still crazy expensive, but downright reasonable for the ship/sailing.

Also, we booked with a travel agent once and it was completely useless. She didn't do anything wrong necessarily, and maybe if we had more questions she could have been more use to us. But basically they were an unnecessary middle man. I found it annoying that we couldn't make any changes to our preferences through the app without reaching out to her.

3 hours ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

We typically book cruises within the 90 day window where they will release heavily discounted guaranteed cabins if the cruise isn't full. Also, shoulder seasons (think before spring, summer break or after school starts) are typically cheaper. We booked the 3 night Disney Wish leaving September 15th 45 days out and scored a balcony cabin for 3 people for $2700. Still crazy expensive, but downright reasonable for the ship/sailing.

Also, we booked with a travel agent once and it was completely useless. She didn't do anything wrong necessarily, and maybe if we had more questions she could have been more use to us. But basically they were an unnecessary middle man. I found it annoying that we couldn't make any changes to our preferences through the app without reaching out to her.

Thanks so much!  Do you know if they post a summary of those last minute discounted fares on-line, and if you have the link, can you share? We are looking to do a short cruise out of South Florida with our 3-year-old grand this fall and can move to book quickly.

3 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Thanks so much!  Do you know if they post a summary of those last minute discounted fares on-line, and if you have the link, can you share? We are looking to do a short cruise out of South Florida with our 3-year-old grand this fall and can move to book quickly.

I have always just browsed the company websites. My husband just happened to be looking because we were hoping for a short vacation in September/October and saw the sailing with prices. If you look on other company websites, they will often have a page with deals on it. Some of the deals are newly released or less popular routes, but others are "short dated" so to speak.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:18 PM, Islander500 said:

DCLBlog posts DCL special offers every Monday.  Here is a link to last Monday's post.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2023/08/special-offers-on-disney-cruise-line-sailings-as-of-august-21-2023/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, CleverUserNameHere said:

We booked the 3 night Disney Wish leaving September 15th 45 days out and scored a balcony cabin for 3 people for $2700. Still crazy expensive, but downright reasonable for the ship/sailing.

Scored?? I think ripped off would be a better term. I've booked 7 day cruises on premium lines for less. However, I've sailed Disney and have found Florida resident discounts a month or two out the best deal. But, I no longer sail with them because they're too expensive.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:07 PM, Sailor75 said:

Scored?? I think ripped off would be a better term. I've booked 7 day cruises on premium lines for less. However, I've sailed Disney and have found Florida resident discounts a month or two out the best deal. But, I no longer sail with them because they're too expensive.

So why are you here, other than to trash Disney. You don't want to sail them any more? Your choice. But don't insult others for making a different choice.

• Like 2