Marseilles to Paris

floridababa

Recommend the Web site Rome2Rio .com - it will give you pretty much all of the available means for travel between any two locations. I've used them numerous times to evaluate my options, then went to investigate further on the Web site for the applicable company (train, plane, whatever).

Depending on where in Paris you want to go, the options may vary. Into the city itself, the train will go to Paris Gare de Lyon from Marseilles. From there, you can get pretty much anywhere else in the area by metro, train, taxi, bus, etc. If you need to go to the airport, might be easier to fly from Marseilles to Orly or CDG, as the train journey would be a bit involved. Still doable, but it will require some navigation skills.

My personal experience was a train from Marseille Saint-Charles to Paris Gare de Lyon. Direct trains are about every hour and a half or so and take around 3 and a half hours station to station.

22 hours ago, floridababa said:

Thank you

The TGV from Marseille St. Charles train station. 
Watch your luggage during stops ( someone mistakenly disembarked with my bag in July).

Try the Trainline UK website or Rail Europe to compare fares with https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/tgv

. The TGV stops at Gare de Lyon in Paris. Do pré book as fares go up or become unavailable the closer to your date. You can book 90 days out.

If you use public transport allow three hours to TGV departure/ two hours by taxi.

Bon Route,

Susan

On 8/23/2023 at 4:14 PM, MaisonRose said:

The TGV from Marseille St. Charles train station. 
Watch your luggage during stops ( someone mistakenly disembarked with my bag in July).

Try the Trainline UK website or Rail Europe to compare fares with https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/tgv

. The TGV stops at Gare de Lyon in Paris. Do pré book as fares go up or become unavailable the closer to your date. You can book 90 days out.

If you use public transport allow three hours to TGV departure/ two hours by taxi.

Bon Route,

Susan

Argh!  Hate to hear about those baggage "issues."  For many years we have carried (and recommended in multiple CC posts) a cable lock device that we routinely use to secure luggage to part of the train.  Stealing luggage off a train is a long-time problem in Europe and folks need to take precautions for any luggage left at the end of the cars.

Hank

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

a cable lock device that we routinely use to secure luggage to part of the train. 

Hank

Great idea. I got some on TEMU my new favorite on line store. Just got a set of AirTags for our upcoming trip to Egypt, too. Those cruise luggage tags with cable saved me: mine was still on the bag with my (French ) cell # which is how we got back together!

i spent a ten day visit to London with the few things in my backpack plus the $200 worth of replacement meds. At least I learned that I can pack lighter.

Susan

BTW I normally watch my bag during a train stop, but my seatmate was sleeping at Lyon & I didn’t have the heart to waken a stranger.

• Thanks 1