Oceanview cabins on the Joy

Smitheroo

Its fun looking at deck plans!         This screenshot is from the Joy, deck 10 forward.  The mustard cabins up front are oceanview.  I checked deck 9 and deck 11 and they are all cabins.  The Olive boxes next to the mustard ones are forward facing Haven Penthouses.  

To me, this looks like a decent cabin but I'm curious what Deck 10 forward looks out on.  What do you think?

oceanview on the Joy.png

The orange one in the middle is a Family Oceanview, which is larger than a standard oceanview. On other ships (like the Escape), these staterooms even have a separate secondary sleeping area with a curtain, a separate desk, an extra closet, and a second TV!

All of these rooms overlook the front of the ship and have angled windows. The windows need to be closed at night so that light doesn't bother the bridge, which is a downside for being at the front.

The upside is that there is usually a small window seat and additional storage under the window.

Also, unlike other oceanview rooms, the bed is parallel to the window, rather than pushed up against the window at the head of the bed.

23 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

The orange one in the middle is a Family Oceanview, which is larger than a standard oceanview. On other ships (like the Escape), these staterooms even have a separate secondary sleeping area with a curtain, a separate desk, an extra closet, and a second TV!

All of these rooms overlook the front of the ship and have angled windows. The windows need to be closed at night so that light doesn't bother the bridge, which is a downside for being at the front.

The upside is that there is usually a small window seat and additional storage under the window.

Also, unlike other oceanview rooms, the bed is parallel to the window, rather than pushed up against the window at the head of the bed.

Looks very nice.  Why would someone want to keep their curtain open at night?   If I wanted to see the stars I would bundle up and go out on deck.    I cant think of any other reason to keep it open. I like the sound of the family oceanview.  My travel partner is my son and law and it would have felt less ackward (for me, he didnt care) with a separate sleeping area but I got used to it.  Plus if one likes to stay up later than the other it is handy

Edited by Smitheroo

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Looks very nice.  Why would someone want to keep their curtain open at night?   If I wanted to see the stars I would bundle up and go out on deck.    I cant think of any other reason to keep it open. I like the sound of the family oceanview.  My travel partner is my son and law and it would have felt less ackward (for me, he didnt care) with a separate sleeping area but I got used to it.  Plus if one likes to stay up later than the other it is handy

Why would anyone go up on deck to see the stars if you can lay in bed and be awed all night. You can leave your windows open, so long as you leave your cabin light off. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:30 PM, Pitzel said:

Is all of  this description for the *Family* Oceanview on the Joy, deck 10 forward?   If so, is the Family Oceanview the only one that has the window at the side of the bed?  The ones to the side of the Family Oceanview seem to all have the window over the head of the bed

50 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Is all of  this description for the *Family* Oceanview on the Joy, deck 10 forward?   If so, is the Family Oceanview the only one that has the window at the side of the bed?  The ones to the side of the Family Oceanview seem to all have the window over the head of the bed

No. All of the forward ocean view rooms have the window at the side of the bed. The Family Oceanview rooms are larger, though, and usually have a larger bathroom as well.

Edited to add: The videos that I posted above are Oceanview rooms on the Joy, not Family Oceanview rooms.

Edited by Pitzel

18 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

No. All of the forward ocean view rooms have the window at the side of the bed. The Family Oceanview rooms are larger, though, and usually have a larger bathroom as well.

Edited to add: The videos that I posted above are Oceanview rooms on the Joy, not Family Oceanview rooms.

Ok.  The pictures on the website show the window over the head of the bed. 

On 8/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, Smitheroo said:

I like the sound of the family oceanview.  My travel partner is my son and law and it would have felt less ackward (for me, he didnt care) with a separate sleeping area but I got used to it.  Plus if one likes to stay up later than the other it is handy

Not all **700 staterooms on the BA + class have the separate small room w/TV. 

Some examples of the Joy **700 staterooms which do not have the separate room/tv....

NorFam970-709-1690565316.webp

(9700)

NorOce127-18930-1616156938.webp

(12700)

The location of the pole and the position of the bed (port vs starboard) can vary.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

On 8/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, Smitheroo said:

Because some of us like waking up to natural light. That’s the only reason I booked oceanview for my 15 night cruise. Waking up to natural light also helps me combat jet lag.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Because some of us like waking up to natural light. That’s the only reason I booked oceanview for my 15 night cruise. Waking up to natural light also helps me combat jet lag.

so leaving your curtain open after dark is only a problem (for the bridge) if you have lights on