Dengu Fever outbreak in Peru & Latin America

whattodo

News of major outbreak of Dengu Fever in Peru and other SA countries. WHO has reported millions of confirmed cases. US Embassy in Peru Ministry of Health reported in June 2023 of 9400 cases per week. July's news was also as bad. 

Our December 2023 cruise will go to 3 ports affected by Dengu Fever. Final payment date is early September. I requested Celebrity to allow me to move my nonrefundable deposit to another cruise without $100 per person penalty. They refused because it is too early to tell if the disease will affect these ports in December. I am disappointed at their response but I will pay the penalty instead of risking our health. What are your thoughts of this disease and do you feel the cruise line's response is typical? 

I would be more concerned about yellow fever.  If contracted, its a death sentence.  Dengue fever is most concerning to pregnant women or those who wish to get pregnant.  Any disease could be dangerous for the elderly.  Most cases are mild and resolve themselves but some could require hospitalization.  Just like Covid.  Its easier to avoid and protect yourself from mosquitoes then coughing, sneezing, breathing cruise ship passengers.  Do your research, assess your risk and make your decision.  I live in the Tropics and we had a dengue break out/scare a few years back.  I guess i am more relaxed about it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I would be more concerned about yellow fever.  If contracted, its a death sentence.  Dengue fever is most concerning to pregnant women or those who wish to get pregnant.  Any disease could be dangerous for the elderly.  Most cases are mild and resolve themselves but some could require hospitalization.  Just like Covid.  Its easier to avoid and protect yourself from mosquitoes then coughing, sneezing, breathing cruise ship passengers.  Do your research, assess your risk and make your decision.  I live in the Tropics and we had a dengue break out/scare a few years back.  I guess i am more relaxed about it

I was more worried about Yellow Fever as well, I was poked fun at for getting the shots, but I was very comfortable in spending that money for the shots versus relying solely on bug repellents and long clothing, I do not know much about Whattodo's demographic so it is a choice only they can make. 

Thanks for your input. I'm one of those people who attract mosquitoes. Friends would joke about having me at BBQ and yard parties because mosquitoes will attack me instead of them 🥴. That saves them from bringing out the citronella buckets, lol.  I use spray, wear long pants and long sleeves. I still often get bites on the uncovered parts of hands and neck/face, the bites sometimes swell up to uncomfortable hard lumps. I don't want to risk getting Dengu Fever, the disease causes mild to severe symptoms. I wish cruise lines would put out alerts way in advance when any disease is known for the ports. That will help cruisers decide if they want to book the particular cruise.