Cruise Itinerary Change

tim_london0

I'm new to this cruising lark, so I don't routinely carry additionally insurance for cruise cover.

and when I do buy a policy for a one-off cruise, my only interest in having the cruise insurance is to cover repatriation costs in the event of accident illness.

Everything else that I need would pretty much be covered by a non-cruise policy

So I was kind of surprised to see such additions as "Cruise Itinerary Change".

And whatdoyouknow, I've just come back from an expedition cruise where one of the expeditions was cancelled due to the weather, and not replaced by an alternative shore landing.

So does this mean that I'm entitled to make a claim for £40 from my insurer, a relativity trivial sum given that (due to the nature of the location) I cannot recreate the missed landing without completing 100% of an additional cruise.  But then I only paid £24 for the insurance :-)

And what am I expected to do to prove my claim?  Nobody on the boat (um ship) seems to think that this missed landing was anything that they needed to document with passengers.  It was just, shrug "it happens".

What do regular cruisers do here?  Do you make sure to claim for every nickel and dime that you might be entitled to for even the tiniest of changes to an Itinerary, or do you (as I do) think "I don't want to get myself a bad rep with insurance companies claiming for every nickel and dime, lest they refuse to insure me in future"?

FWIW, I missed out on claiming for being confined to cabin with Covid on the previous cruise because I didn't know that I had such cover.  That would have been £50pd for 5 days.  Fortunately all were "at sea" days so I lot very little of the experience - though my cheapie £24 police doesn't seem to include that.

2 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

What do regular cruisers do here?  Do you make sure to claim for every nickel and dime that you might be entitled to for even the tiniest of changes to an Itinerary, or do you (as I do) think "I don't want to get myself a bad rep with insurance companies claiming for every nickel and dime, lest they refuse to insure me in future"?

I can only speak for myself. My personal time has a monetary value. (Each person can place a different value on their personal time)

Do I take a 3 hour flight? Or do I drive for 12-18 hours?

Do I purchase a lawn mower and spend an hour each week to mow and trim the lawn? Or, just pay someone $25?

Do I spend a couple of hours researching coverage, scanning documents, filling out claim forms, etc. for a $40 loss? No, I don't. On the other hand, do the nickel and dimes add up to a couple of hundred? The that might be worth investing some time on.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 3:30 AM, tim_london0 said:

I'm new to this cruising lark, so I don't routinely carry additionally insurance for cruise cover.

and when I do buy a policy for a one-off cruise, my only interest in having the cruise insurance is to cover repatriation costs in the event of accident illness.

Everything else that I need would pretty much be covered by a non-cruise policy

So I was kind of surprised to see such additions as "Cruise Itinerary Change".

And whatdoyouknow, I've just come back from an expedition cruise where one of the expeditions was cancelled due to the weather, and not replaced by an alternative shore landing.

So does this mean that I'm entitled to make a claim for £40 from my insurer, a relativity trivial sum given that (due to the nature of the location) I cannot recreate the missed landing without completing 100% of an additional cruise.  But then I only paid £24 for the insurance :-)

And what am I expected to do to prove my claim?  Nobody on the boat (um ship) seems to think that this missed landing was anything that they needed to document with passengers.  It was just, shrug "it happens".

FWIW, I missed out on claiming for being confined to cabin with Covid on the previous cruise because I didn't know that I had such cover.  That would have been £50pd for 5 days.  Fortunately all were "at sea" days so I lot very little of the experience - though my cheapie £24 police doesn't seem to include that.

File the claim.