State Department issued Birth Certificates

woodburygal

Help!  My daughter in laws passport expired.  We sail in 19 days.  Her dad was military and she was born in England.  Her birth certificate was issued by the state department and actually says “birth of a US citizen.”  In check in online it says under review. Anyone sail with such a document or is she out of luck?

It's not uncommon for document to say "Under review" for several weeks after check-in. My family's passports were "under review" for 2 weeks for our cruise next month even though we'd used the same passports for a cruise in January.

As long as your daughter-in-law submitted an official US government birth certificate and she is on a cruise leaving from and returning to the same US port, I would guess that the birth certificate will be sufficient, but I haven't used such a document. You could call DCL to verify that this type of document can be used. 

13 hours ago, woodburygal said:

Help!  My daughter in laws passport expired.  We sail in 19 days.  Her dad was military and she was born in England.  Her birth certificate was issued by the state department and actually says “birth of a US citizen.”  In check in online it says under review. Anyone sail with such a document or is she out of luck?

That depends - what cruise are you taking?  For a Caribbean cruise what's required (and I quote from the DCL website):

Sailing from/to: Port Canaveral, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Galveston, San Diego, San Juan, New Orleans and New York

The following guidelines are based on government regulations, which are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on your cruise itinerary.

Travelers can visit the US State Department's website for more information. All documents must be valid for the entire length of the voyage, unless otherwise noted. Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding. When dropping off luggage upon arrival, please keep all documents in your possession to present during check-in at the terminal.

US Citizens (Including Children)
  • Original valid US Passport
  • Original valid US Passport Card
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, FAST)

OR

• Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
    1. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable
    2. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)

Children 15 years of age and younger are required to present one of the documents listed above, but do not need to present a Government-issued photo ID.

Social Security Cards and Global Entry are not acceptable proof of US citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the US

Edited by Shmoo here

On 8/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, woodburygal said:

Thanks.  I actually called DCL three times and got three different answers.  One rep told me she needed a green card, lol.

We are having passport problems for kids too.  Waiting two months for renewals and no sign of lousy passports.  Emailed dcl they said we could use a short form BC or copy of long form.  I suggest you email get it in writing.  Obv if she is US citizen,  doesn’t need GC lol.

• 3 months later...