Princess Shuttle in Lima

vantec

We're going to be there in two days' time with Coral Princess. They are providing a free shuttle to the Larcomar mall in Miraflores, which seems like a nice area with lovely walks by the sea. We plan to get a taxi from there to the Plaza Mayor and walk round the old town by ourselves (or possibly do one of the free walking tours).

On 8/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, kremerlorraine said:

We're going to be there in two days' time with Coral Princess. They are providing a free shuttle to the Larcomar mall in Miraflores, which seems like a nice area with lovely walks by the sea. We plan to get a taxi from there to the Plaza Mayor and walk round the old town by ourselves (or possibly do one of the free walking tours).

Thank you for that information - did Princess make this announcement on the ship? I'm surprised there is not a charge.

Just now, kremerlorraine said:

Yes, the destination expert announced it yesterday as part of his talk on Lima.

You are so helpful - Thank you so much!  Do you remember if the shuttle comes and go all day, or is there one drop off and one pick up?

• 1 month later...

Hello @vantec and @kremerlorraine,

We sail Sapphire Princess leaving LA December 1 for Santiago, Chile.

We're in Lima Dec 13-14, ship departs Lima Dec 14 at 10:30 pm

We'd love to use a Princess shuttle from Callao Port in Lima to Larcomer Mall Miraflores!

Please: When you actually sailed:

--What time morning did first Princess shuttle leave port for Miraflores?

--What time did the last shuttle leave Miraflores to return to the ship?

--Did it take 50-60 minutes or about how long each way?

Thank you so much!!!  - Kathy

7 hours ago, HappyKatya said:

Hello @vantec and @kremerlorraine,

We sail Sapphire Princess leaving LA December 1 for Santiago, Chile.

We're in Lima Dec 13-14, ship departs Lima Dec 14 at 10:30 pm

We'd love to use a Princess shuttle from Callao Port in Lima to Larcomer Mall Miraflores!

Please: When you actually sailed:

--What time morning did first Princess shuttle leave port for Miraflores?

--What time did the last shuttle leave Miraflores to return to the ship?

--Did it take 50-60 minutes or about how long each way?

Thank you so much!!!  - Kathy

I'm sorry I can't help you with this question, we won't be in Lima until March 2024.  Maybe you can answer the question for me after your trip?  My husband and I are definitely interested in more information on the ship's shuttle.  I'm also curious if it is free, or if there is a charge.  Have a great cruise!

7 hours ago, vantec said:

I'm sorry I can't help you with this question, we won't be in Lima until March 2024.  Maybe you can answer the question for me after your trip?  My husband and I are definitely interested in more information on the ship's shuttle.  I'm also curious if it is free, or if there is a charge.  Have a great cruise!

Yes, please remind me in January! 

I hope @kremerlorraine can tell us this month or in November, we sail Dec 1 !

On 8/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, kremerlorraine said:

They are providing a free shuttle to the Larcomar mall in Miraflores,

Ships run shuttles to Miraflores as the dock area at Calleo is unsafe.

Read this  thread and replies to see why. I expect there will be others if you use the CC  SEARCH option to find them, or search the internet in general. with something like "safety at Calleo port"

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2886479-callao-peru/#comment-64516058

On 10/16/2023 at 3:48 AM, edinburgher said:

Ships run shuttles to Miraflores as the dock area at Calleo is unsafe.

@edinburgher @GeorgeCharlieThank you so much! 

Please: What about San Antonio, port for Santiago Chile? It looks just as huge and full of container equipment as Callao on Google satellite. Does Princess run a shuttle from the ship at San Antonio through the industrial area to a port gate or to outside the "cruiseport" building on Google? Where the driver we booked online can find us? 

Edited by HappyKatya
First sent with no content by error

@GeorgeCharlieThank you so much for your reply and a great picture !  I'm really enjoying your review, too. It seems like the building in your photo is close to where ships dock but since ships line up end to end, some may be closer than others...  Would you think it's the long green building on the left side of this screenshot from the video "Terminal de Cruceros DPW San Antonio" ?TerminalDPWSanAntonio.thumb.png.a412e087a25732ff8bf8be38e411f6cf.png

@GeorgeCharlie Thank you! You are the Best! 💗😍

Now we're all set for how to navigate San Antonio port, thanks to you and the other kind folks here!

All we have left is answer the original question in this thread:

Princess shuttle in Lima?

I have a contact inside Princess LAX looking into will they run a shuttle Dec 13-14?  Neither she nor I can find it on Princess.com or Medallion app. All they have is 1 excursion to Miraflores "Lima In Your Own" which returns to the ship at 2:45 so no sunset at the Malecon and not much time to try seafood....

Every other excursion is a bus tour where you can't get off more than briefly, but we love to walk.

I do hope @kremerlorraine enjoyed a real shuttle August 27-8?  But it could be Princess discontinued it. Maybe they were worried about security...

Right now we see no way to get thru the purgatory of Callao port, into Lima, other than buying Princess' Lima on Your Own tour. Even if Princess did run a shuttle across Callao port to the port gate, and even if there are still police there so we could meet our driver going to town safely, there's no way for us to navigate that checkpoint when we return to the ship by car...🤔

14 hours ago, HappyKatya said:

Right now we see no way to get thru the purgatory of Callao port, into Lima, other than buying Princess' Lima on Your Own tour.

In my experience, cruiselines rarely give much advance notice of the availability of shuttle buses at any port, often only notifying pax the day or evening before arrival, as they would rather pax book shorex.

Even if Princess did run a shuttle across Callao port to the port gate,

The shuttles do not run only to the port gate, the area outside of which is considered the most unsafe (or it used to be) running instead all the way to a location in the upmarket Miraflores area.

As your question is Princess specific, you could try cross posting on the Princess Board to ask pax who sailed earlier this year if there was a shuttle and for how many hours a day it ran.  And if you have already hired a driver, that driver may have current information if  used to running to and from the port, but meeting your car and driver at the port gate, or being dropped off there, is maybe not the best option unless things have changed for the better.

Edited by edinburgher

Dear @edinburgher  Thank you so much! That makes enormous sense. I'll post on the Princess board as you suggest!   If there's anything to add, I'll get back to everyone here.  But you probably have given all the information which we'll get until a few days before Dec 13 docking in Lima...

1 hour ago, HappyKatya said:

you probably have given all the information which we'll get until a few days before Dec 13 docking in Lima...

Thanks for acknowledging as not everyone does, but best you get recent info from pax who were there more recently than we were, but have you also read past threads and posts containing the word Calleo or Lima?  No need to back page, use the SEARCH tool under your username in the usual way.

I did read everything on Callao in the initial link you send, but forgive me, did not realize there is more? 

It does seem clear from your initial link that Callao is not a place to drive through except on a ship's coach! 

Is there another set of Callao posts we need to see?

Thank you so much for helping everyone out!

15 hours ago, HappyKatya said:

I did read everything on Callao in the initial link you send, but forgive me, did not realize there is more? 

Nothing to forgive! On all forums you can search for previous threads and posts containing your key words.  It is worth learning how to use the SEARCH TOOL as it is easier than trying to back page looking for threads. If you do not know how to use it, go to the general board for the geographical area you are looking for, not an individual thread, in this instance the SA Forum.  In the search box under your username, insert either Calleo or Lima, then hit the little spy glass.  In a few seconds all previous threads containing that word should appear ready for you to choose which to read.  Repeat with the second name.  you can use this across all forums, only needing to remember to do it from the main (general) forum page, not an individual on, and that if you are searching a Spanish port eg, you must be on the SpainPports Forum..  Can also use it on cruiseline forums, if eg you wanted to check Princess self serve laundry facilities, you would go to the Princess Forum and insert the words self service laundry in the search box under your username.  One caveat.  Make sure your spelling in the search box is correct otherwise you may have no resullts.

Some members complain that the search tool is terrible and never works, others like myself have never had an issue with it and have used it frequently over the years .  It would therefore be helpful if you report back, but you can keep it brief and say only that it worked successfully for you or it did not. Thank you in advance.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

We took at taxi to the ruins, they opened at 11:00.  Ate at the restaurant at noon.   Huaca Pucllana.  just google make reservations online.  Wonderful experience!   They arranged a taxi back to the mall.  

Princess had a free bus, nice motorcoach.  Just google the mall, outdoors, taxis are waiting for cruise ship passengers.  I believe it was in Lima.    Many things to do in Lima,  water park, ruins, ..we did our research and watched utube videos.   Cost of taxi to ruins was approx 20.00 (lima dollars)