P&O v Princess

OTrail

Looking at going on a cruise in a couple of years and it's between these two as they sail from Southampton around dates that are convenient with an itinerary I'm interested in.

I've only cruised with Marella (formerly TUI) before and was just wondering if anyone has experience of both to offer a recommendation of one over the other.

I'll be 38 and a solo traveller, I'm more laid back and not in to all the formal events/dining. Do either have arranged solo meet ups, like coffees/breakfasts? It's been about 5 years since my last cruise and I'm feeling like a total newbie again :classic_laugh:

Both P&O and Princess Cruise LInes have solo coffee meetings on a daily basis. P&O tend to aggregate solo cruises on large tables if you are on a first/second sitting basis. Princess dining tends to be universally Anytime Dining and not on a sittings basis. Princess tend to run a lot more games and activities when at sea in my experience.

The main difference between them is P&O tend to have British passengers mainly because they market a high percentage of the time to the UK. Entertainment and shows are more aimed at the British sense of humour and audience. Princess have a wider distribution of nationalities and entertainment is more international and if anything American. I find Americans tend to mix more readily.

If you want to meet more people opt for sharing tables at breakfast and evening meals on large tables. You easily build up a few contacts.

Regards John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've no experience of solo cruising, but all ships seem to offer get-together opportunities for solos.

We prefer Princess.

More stylish, laid-back and cosmopolitan, whereas we find P&O comparatively bland and workmanlike.

Better buffet on Princess too, for both decor and food.

Crew seem to be more approachable and willing than the more-reserved P&O crew, but not "in your face" like some US lines. Service on both is good, the difference is more a matter of personalities, perhaps the way they're trained.

Yes, I've seen the big solo's tables on P&O - always the most congenial, usually the last to leave the dining room, often head for bars or theatre mob-handed. Ditto going ashore.

I wasn't aware that Princess is now all anytime dining - that surely makes it more difficult for solos 🙁  

P&O's pricing is complex -  two-level fares and multiple cabin prices, but on-board costs are significantly lower. Lower bar prices & no service charge on top, cheaper excursions, no grammatically-incorrect daily "gratuities" (check whether Princess charge daily gratuities on your chosen cruise -  on cruises out of UK and Aus they don't, because they know that they grieve Brits & Aussies.) Bear the extra costs in mind when comparing value.

So it's pros & cons.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

I wasn't aware that Princess is now all anytime dining - that surely makes it more difficult for solos 🙁  

JB 🙂

Princess dining is bookable on the app.  You can specify same time of day every day or different times in something like 10 minute sectors at various MDRs which you can chop and change at will. Additionally you can select private or shared tables. So if you request big table at same restaurant at exactly 7pm every night sharing, that will be with different folks.  You can befriend shipmates and put them on your app my mutual agreement on the app and meet and dine but you disclose you global position on the ship 24/7.  Ideal for relocating where grandma is but a bit intrusive for casual friends you have just met. The latter set up is ideal for huge groups sailing together.

Regards John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

No experience of solo cruising (sorry) but have done several sailings on both P&O and Princess and I would imagine that Princess might be the better option for a solo traveler. Princess is a more American style of cruise so a little more relaxed and I would imagine a bit easier for solo travel. Having said that, as a couple we like both

Thanks everyone. Did a lot of Googling, read a lot of reviews, watching a lot of YouTube and ended up going with Princess. A lot of what was said in here seems to be repeated elsewhere with regards to differences.

• Like 1