Cancer, Cruising and NCL Travel "Insurance"

K80 Diver

A warning to those of you cancer warriors (and/or survivors) out there.  Let my story be a lesson for you:

I have been under treatment for multiple myeloma (a cancer of the blood) since 2018.  I've gone through chemo, a stem cell transplant, weekly infusions, shots, pills, you name it. Since my diagnosis in '18, we've cruised six times on NCL (always buying NCL's offered travel "insurance").  I scheduled cruises around all my chemo dates and doctor appointments, travelled even when I was bald.  Last fall I traveled with over 150 pills for my ongoing treatment.  Not easy but I am a fighter!

Way back in August 2021, I booked an NCL cruise for April 2023 and bought their "insurance".  Like I said, I have been treated continuously for my cancer since 2018.  It's just the nature of dealing with this disease.  When one treatment failed, my doctor would then put me on another protocol.  In January 2023, my fourth line of treatment stopped working and my next course of action was to join a medical trial at Mayo to try a new drug.  This entailed harvesting my T-cells, genetically modifying them to fight the cancer, then putting those modified T-cells back into my body while staying in the hospital for 12 days in April.   Goodbye cruise, hello Mayo.

I cancelled our April cruise in January (89 days before sailing) and NCL of course penalized me 75% of the fare.  No surprise.  I then filed with Aon Affinity, the administrative company that handles NCL claims.  After sending piles of medical records, waiting for weeks, Aon denied my medical claim saying I had a "pre-existing condition".  Let me tell everybody out there how NCL's "Insurance" works.  I purchased the insurance in August 2021.  However, my policy did not become effective until December 23, 2022 -- the date when final payment is due.  The policy looks back 60 days prior to the effective date (October 25, 2022 through December 23, 2022) and claims that I was treated for cancer during that time and that's a pre-existing condition.  BUT WAIT!  The NCL "insurance" policy clearly states the definition of pre-existing condition "... does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date of Your Certificate." (emphasis added)

All these years of buying the NCL "insurance", I thought that if I was being treated for my cancer, then Aon could not deny a claim due to a pre-existing condition since I was ALWAYS being treated for my cancer.  Silly me.

I appealed their denial in late July.  Today I got back a denial of my appeal.  Oh brother.  What a royal pain!  Of course Aon tells me I can get 75% of what I lost back under the "Cancel for any reason" as a Future Cruise Credit.  Part of me says just give up and take the darn FCC.  Another part of me - the warrior I suppose -- says fight the appeal denial and file another appeal.  I think I have a strong case.  I'm ready to go to the consumer advocates here.

I just had to put this out to the Cruise Critic forum.  I imagine other people have perhaps hit this "insurance" denial as well for cancer.  Thanks for listening, and if anyone has some words of advice, let me know.

Now, for the rest of the story -- as Paul Harvey used to say.  The most important lesson?  The medical trial I am in was a huge success for me and I am now in complete remission.  It's truly a miracle and every day is a gift!

Katie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

KD - I Am very happy to hear about your complete remission as I Am sure you and your family are as well.. continued good health.

While I Am not familiar with NCL's insurance coverage, I can only posit that if it is 'similar' to third party policies, while pre-existing conditions are covered, yet a change in protocols to manage the conditions can trigger a denial.

Please re-read the coverages and exclusions related to 'pre-existing conditions' and I think it will spell out how these and similar situations will be handled. 

A caveat with insurance IME is "... if it is not specifically included, then it is excluded." unfortunately.

In health and many more bon voyages

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BookSafe-Travel-Protection-Plan_112514.pdf

NCL coverage excludes pre-existing conditions. See page 7. Your claim was denied under both provisions of the exclusion - first, because you were receiving ongoing treatment for a previously diagnosed condition and second, because your condition is not one that is controlled solely by taking a prescription drug, like high blood pressure or diabetes. It took a lot of other tests, procedures, and treatments to get you to that temporary stage.

An appeal is not likely to be successful so take the FCC and rejoice that you are healthy again and can plan another trip. Before you book, talk to someone at The Trip Insurance Store who can explain how the pre-existing conditions exclusion applies to you now and whether you can qualify for a waiver. They even have policies that will cover those FCC’s.

In the meantime, I am heartened to know that your treatment was successful, not only for your sake but also for others who are facing or will face a daunting diagnosis. There is hope as long as one has access to the same level of care.

What kind words and beautiful thoughts so well expressed you two!  Yes, rejoice.  And yes, because of medical trials there is much knowledge gained in the treatment of this cancer which I know will help others too in the future.  So I have decided to just move on and learn my lesson.  Thank you for those nice replies!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K80 Diver said:

A warning to those of you cancer warriors (and/or survivors) out there.  Let my story be a lesson for you:

I am also glad that you are doing well. 

@Babr and @Bo1953 both provided excellent info. But let me expand upon your warning for others in a similar situation.  Your warning does not apply to just NCL. Most of the plans offered by the major cruise lines have similar pre-existing conditions clause with a 60 day lookback period. In addition, unlike most third party travel insurance policies, most cruise line plans do not offer a waiver of pre-existing conditions. That waiver is critical for people in a similar situation.  It is also really nice to have for anyone, because the claims administrator will not ask for prior medical records when you file a claim.

Here are cruise line plan exceptions I am aware of:

• Holland America has no pre-existing conditions clause or cancelation reasons. The Platinum plan provides a 90% cash refund for any cancelation.  But, medical coverage is only $10K.
  • MSC will waive the pre-existing conditions clause if the plan is purchased up to 24 hours after final payment. Medical is $25K.
  • Viking will waive the pre-existing conditions clause if the plan is purchased up to 15 days after initial payment.  Medical is $100K (the only cruise line plan I am aware of that offers more than $25K).

Other Notes:

The pre-existing conditions clause applies not only to trip cancelation, but also to trip interruption and medical. Depending on the plan, some coverages such as trip delay, baggage and medical evacuation may not be subject to the pre-existing conditions clause.

Credit card travel insurance benefits are often more restrictive than the cruise line plans regarding pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 2