Curling and flat irons in Italy, Greece and on Princess

Hollyann

On 8/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, Hollyann said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. Lew I thought I read the list of prohibited items on Princess carefully, but sure enough, flat irons are on the list just over 1/2 way down😱  So even though there is a Target one block from our hotel when we arrive in Athens, I cannot buy one and bring it on the ship?  It does not say anything about curling irons though.  Maybe because they do not get as hot?? 

Hmm, I have brought my flat iron on every cruise I've been on and it has never been taken away and I've used it on the ship (we have mostly cruised on Princess).  I've never heard they were prohibited.  Oops!

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

10 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Hmm, I have brought my flat iron on every cruise I've been on and it has never been taken away and I've used it on the ship (we have mostly cruised on Princess).  I've never heard they were prohibited.  Oops!

If you go back and read the entire thread, you'll see there was some confusion between an iron for clothing or hair.  All straightened out (yes, pun intended).  Clothing iron - No.  Hair iron (or straightener) - Yes.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

I'm a bit confused. Don't all ships have dual voltage outlets? I'll be on the Celebrity Constellation in Italy next year. I understand my flat iron won't work in the hotels, but shouldn't it work on the ship?

I’m not sure what a “dual voltage” outlet is. Some ships will offer several types of outlets (e.g. US plug style, EU plug style, UK plug style) and each would provide the appropriate voltage. But I don’t know of any outlet type that switches voltages — usually that is something built into the specific appliance or charger….  

(And of course many newer or refitted ships also offer USB ports in cabins.)

It’s best to check on what configuration your specific ship will have.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But I don’t know of any outlet type that switches voltages — usually that is something built into the specific appliance or charger….  

. Some electrical appliances can be dual voltage, only requiring that the appliance is switched to the appropriate voltage before plugging in, but never heard of actual sockets being dual voltage.

7 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

'm a bit confused. Don't all ships have dual voltage outlets? I'll be on the Celebrity Constellation in Italy next year. I understand my flat iron won't work in the hotels, but shouldn't it work on the ship?

Travel adaptors are a quick and easy solution and widely available, but best to check both the number of pins and the shape of them as some can be round and others more flat.  Ask on the forum for your cruiseline.  If you are really stuck, Guest Services can often lend an adaptor( sometimes free otherwise requiring a small deposit.)

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

In my previous post, I mentioned "dual voltage" outlets. What I meant was that the ships should have different plugs for each kind, US and European. I've already checked and they do. Sorry for the confusion in my wording. 

If you'll read from the very beginning of this post you'll see there were two issues:

1) using her flatiron in Athens, and

2) flatiron being allowed on ship.

It was not about the electricity on ship.

• Like 1